Northern Ireland - forthcoming elections....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

One point. Let us assume common sense prevailed, and, NI was United with Republic of Ireland. Wouldn’t that mean the current crop of NI Politicians were all surplus to requirements, after all, the Republic already has a functioning government. Turkeys don’t usually vote for Christmas, in my experience.
Why would they be surplus ? They'd still have there own areas to represent.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Why would they be surplus ? They'd still have there own areas to represent.

They'll all get knighthoods and decent pay-offs after a short stint in a 'Transitional Government'.....

D

Deleted member 49

Not sure I understand your point. Doesn’t the Republic have a system with elected “MPs”? The may be called by a different title, but, same effect.
I'm not sure I get yours either ? In a united Ireland why would it be any different to here in England ? Why would they need to get rid of any ? If the DUP want out that's there problem.They earn enough out of the UK anyway.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I'm not sure I get yours either ? In a united Ireland why would it be any different to here in England ? Why would they need to get rid of any ? If the DUP want out that's there problem.They earn enough out of the UK anyway.

Constituencies, I think is what @BoldonLad is eluding too? Or Counties....

D

Deleted member 49

As in devolved institutions in N Ireland ? I'd like to think more of an all-island government in Dublin who would run the whole island,and Northern Ireland as a political entity would cease to exist.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Constituencies, I think is what @BoldonLad is eluding too? Or Counties....

My point is. The Republic of Ireland has a functioning system of Government, complete with Leaders, Ministers, MPs (or what ever they call them), and, of course, Civil Servants (again, with a pyramid of seniority).

At present NI also has a "Government" in the form of the barely functioning Assembly, plus Civil Servants etc etc. In the event of a merger, it seems inevitable to me, that some of these people at various levels will be "redundant", "surplus" (whatever, word you want to use).

There is no doubt a health service, again with "chiefs and Indians", and, a Police service, Fire Service...etc, likewise.... all of these people will no doubt wish to protect their own little bit.

Presumably, in the way these things usually go, when dealing with Politicians, and, Senior Civil Servants, no doubt the "mandarins" etc will be comfortably pensioned off, complete no doubt with honours. But, among the foot-soldiers there may not be so many "goodies" dished out. There is also, of course, the possibility that some Politicians and Mandarins LIKE being top-dogs (in their own eyes only perhaps), hence, my comment, "turkeys do not usually vote for Christmas".

It was an observation... I am sure it will be resolved by throwing an appropriate amount of money at the problem, the only real issue is.... whose money?

BoldonLad

As in devolved institutions in N Ireland ? I'd like to think more of an all-island government in Dublin who would run the whole island,and Northern Ireland as a political entity would cease to exist.

Exactly my thinking, No need for two organisations, hence, my comment.

D

Deleted member 49

My point is. The Republic of Ireland has a functioning system of Government, complete with Leaders, Ministers, MPs (or what ever they call them), and, of course, Civil Servants (again, with a pyramid of seniority).

At present NI also has a "Government" in the form of the barely functioning Assembly, plus Civil Servants etc etc. In the event of a merger, it seems inevitable to me, that some of these people at various levels will be "redundant", "surplus" (whatever, word you want to use).

There is no doubt a health service, again with "chiefs and Indians", and, a Police service, Fire Service...etc, likewise.... all of these people will no doubt wish to protect their own little bit.

Presumably, in the way these things usually go, when dealing with Politicians, and, Senior Civil Servants, no doubt the "mandarins" etc will be comfortably pensioned off, complete no doubt with honours. But, among the foot-soldiers there may not be so many "goodies" dished out. There is also, of course, the possibility that some Politicians and Mandarins LIKE being top-dogs (in their own eyes only perhaps), hence, my comment, "turkeys do not usually vote for Christmas".

It was an observation... I am sure it will be resolved by throwing an appropriate amount of money at the problem, the only real issue is.... whose money?
Basically you mean the island of Ireland should be self sufficient and look after themselves ?
You should of just said that 😁

BoldonLad

Basically you mean the island of Ireland should be self sufficient and look after themselves ?
You should of just said that 😁

Well, I rather thought that my
Let us assume common sense prevailed, and, NI was United with Republic of Ireland.

more or less conveyed that I was in favour of that?

But... this may not / will not be a win win for everyone in the Island of Ireland (IMHO).

Last edited:
Top Bottom