Northern Ireland - forthcoming elections....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....could be more than a mite interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-ireland-elections?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The daily politics of the North are quite impenetrable for outsiders, the more I discuss it with people living and working there, the less I understand. Much of the politics is very backward looking.
But in a few weeks, there could be a major turning point in the history of the 6 counties.
A United Ireland seems inevitable and a SF win will rapidly accelerate the pace of change.

FishFright

....could be more than a mite interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-ireland-elections?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The daily politics of the North are quite impenetrable for outsiders, the more I discuss it with people living and working there, the less I understand. Much of the politics is very backward looking.
But in a few weeks, there could be a major turning point in the history of the 6 counties.
A United Ireland seems inevitable and a SF win will rapidly accelerate the pace of change.

Although I'd be happy to see a united Ireland I dread the violence that may go with that.

D

Deleted member 49

Although I'd be happy to see a united Ireland I dread the violence that may go with that.
In a united Ireland the Unionists would maybe fear losing their identity,whatever that is ! But would they get the same support and collusion of the RUC/PSNI....it's a different generation coming through who want to move forward from the past.My partner would be a Sinn Fein supporter to a certain extent,politics is complicated there for sure.But to think it's backwards is a mistake.Especially when we look at our own.
The Unionists helped us get the Brexit shitshow, the Irish Sea Border and brought a United Ireland closer than ever.The futures bright 😁

All uphill

I'm not from the island of Ireland, and my comments are those of a frequent visitor with family living near the border.

While the history is, of course, important it seems to me that the key thing is identity; every time I see or hear anything that diminishes the identity of anyone there, through "banter", jokes or simple negativity I see the prospect of an inclusive and peaceful united Ireland slipping away.

When everyone feels included and accepted we may have cause for optimism.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
In a united Ireland the Unionists would maybe fear losing their identity,whatever that is ! But would they get the same support and collusion of the RUC/PSNI....it's a different generation coming through who want to move forward from the past.My partner would be a Sinn Fein supporter to a certain extent,politics is complicated there for sure.But to think it's backwards is a mistake.Especially when we look at our own.
The Unionists helped us get the Brexit shitshow, the Irish Sea Border and brought a United Ireland closer than ever.The futures bright 😁

Thanks Adam.
I guess most people I speak to from the North are not of the younger generation and they in my experience have a more backward looking view. We can only hope the younger generation can see not a reunited Ireland, but a 'New Ireland'....

I heard something on the radio earlier today where some first time voters in Derry were discussing the forthcoming elections. They mostly said that Green/Orange meant less to them than their parents and that they would cast their vote at least in part based on policies rather than tribes. There was one young woman that said she didn't follow politics so would vote according to her brother's preference, but on the whole it was an encouraging piece.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I heard something on the radio earlier today where some first time voters in Derry were discussing the forthcoming elections. They mostly said that Green/Orange meant less to them than their parents and that they would cast their vote at least in part based on policies rather than tribes. There was one young woman that said she didn't follow politics so would vote according to her brother's preference, but on the whole it was an encouraging piece.

There's hope....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...polarised-politics?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

D

Deleted member 49

Looking at the ten constituencies whose first preference votes have been declared we are now forecasting that Sinn Fein will emerge as the party with the highest vote in the new Northern Ireland Assembly.
😁

Looking at the ten constituencies whose first preference votes have been declared we are now forecasting that Sinn Fein will emerge as the party with the highest vote in the new Northern Ireland Assembly.
😁

It remains to be seen whether the DUP will allow the Assembly to convene. I can't see them having the humility to accept the result despite the D in their party name.

D

Deleted member 49

It remains to be seen whether the DUP will allow the Assembly to convene. I can't see them having the humility to accept the result despite the D in their party name.
Lol.....“The Britain hard-line unionists are loyal to no longer exists. They have begun to look like the Japanese soldiers discovered still fighting on remote islands decades after the Second World War: ageing and hysterical, their battle was lost long ago.”

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
So, just as we get bumped over to using UK plates on our cars after bumping along with GB plates since forever, the political world goes in the other direction. Probably not worth hanging onto the old GB plates though. We might be on to EN sooner than we think.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
The result is a real tipping point. The new Alliance party taking 13% of the vote is not insignificant either. There's a new post-troubles generation in town, and they have votes.
The continued grumblings of the DUP over the NI protocol and threatening to prevent a return to Stormont further demonstrates they are dinosaurs, a party of the past. They need to show-up for work on Monday to have any credibility....
The people have spoken.

Top Bottom