Northern Ireland - forthcoming elections....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One could say that about any election/ referendum result doesn’t stop the side that lost moaning about it e.g. the myriad of brexit threads we had here and on the other board.

Can’t please all of the people all of the time 😁

As I recall, it was the “winning” side in that election that tried to shut down the democratic process. Here, it’s the losing DUP, using the fig leaf of opposition to a protocol that they enabled, that wants to do the same.

Cirrus

As I recall, it was the “winning” side in that election that tried to shut down the democratic process. Here, it’s the losing DUP, using the fig leaf of opposition to a protocol that they enabled, that wants to do the same.

I seem to recall Sinn Fein shutting the assembly down between 2017 and 2020, both parties seem to use it as a political tool for their own ends rather than the peoples

I seem to recall Sinn Fein shutting the assembly down between 2017 and 2020, both parties seem to use it as a political tool for their own ends rather than the peoples

Ah, that was a different fig leaf. Two leaves, in fact, one a little more substantial than the other. Irish language and the extent of Arlene Foster’s complicity in the RHI scandal.

D

Deleted member 49

And always a likely result from an oven ready Brexit. I don't follow or watch Morgan but I assume from his post that he's been a stalwart defender of the Good Friday Agreement.
Lol....I read it in the Belfast Telegraph,I try and avoid him wherever possible.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...ll-see-inevitable-breakup-of-uk-41627381.html

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
One could say that about any election/ referendum result doesn’t stop the side that lost moaning about it e.g. the myriad of brexit threads we had here and on the other board.

Can’t please all of the people all of the time 😁

Would be bloody dull if we were all happy!

There seems to be a strong direction of travel in NI for a new politic, but if you combine the Unionist parties votes it still puts Unionism in a strong position. A point am sure we will hear adnauseam as the future of NI rumbles on....

D

Deleted member 49

Would be bloody dull if we were all happy!

There seems to be a strong direction of travel in NI for a new politic, but if you combine the Unionist parties votes it still puts Unionism in a strong position. A point am sure we will hear adnauseam as the future of NI rumbles on....
Let's not forget that the DUP never really signed up to the GFA. They not really interested in protecting it either.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Let's not forget that the DUP never really signed up to the GFA. They not really interested in protecting it either.

What they're trying to protect is a sinking ship, and without getting into Stormont and manning the pumps, they're accelerating the inevitable. The NI Protocol is a DUP/Tory issue, in terms of overall benefit, NI being in the EU is an economic bonus....

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
One point. Let us assume common sense prevailed, and, NI was United with Republic of Ireland. Wouldn’t that mean the current crop of NI Politicians were all surplus to requirements, after all, the Republic already has a functioning government. Turkeys don’t usually vote for Christmas, in my experience.

Beebo

Veteran
One point. Let us assume common sense prevailed, and, NI was United with Republic of Ireland. Wouldn’t that mean the current crop of NI Politicians were all surplus to requirements, after all, the Republic already has a functioning government. Turkeys don’t usually vote for Christmas, in my experience.

Same argument with UKIP and Brexit.
SinnFein don’t take their Westminster seats or their salary anyway.

Top Bottom