New number plates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Hey, what a laugh, I can see how this is going.

No, I can't do any of that, could you arrange for the remain team to have had a better campaign that wasn't relentlessly negative and run by sanctimonious, smug, 'we are all so much cleverer than you' dickheads?

The only positive thing about the Leave Campaign, I recall, was the £350 million or billion or whatever we were supposed to be able to spend on the NHS. The need to raise NHI (or, to make an additional levy, to be exact), to do so, must have been in very small print, no doubt.

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Regular
The only positive thing about the Leave Campaign, I recall, was the £350 million or billion or whatever we were supposed to be able to spend on the NHS. The need to raise NHI (or, to make an additional levy, to be exact), to do so, must have been in very small print, no doubt.
Rant: The leavers made much of the extra £350M per week for a good cause. Of course it would be welcome if not for the government's own projections showing Brexit would empty the coffers by a much larger amount.

Only after the vote the leavers began to admit this, eg Rees-Mogg famously suggesting as many as 50 years to recover, others saying it was "worth it for freedom" etc.

Rant continues: So GDP is lower than it would have been, and of course there were the massive costs of implementing Brexit itself - projections of £200 billion are often suggested - which I hope are a massive exaggeration.

Years of austerity had already cut services to the bone, including topic of the year: Bobbies on the beat.
The impact of Brexit just adds further pressures and as yet has not brought any tangible benefit.

I will give Brexit more time to show a tangible sustained benefit, but austerity had a decade and is still a disaster, so i'm not optimistic.

Unlucky timing that Covid hit when the country was least prepared for the costs- Or a useful distraction that Boris can blame for the damage inflicted by his government?

Seems that £350M a week was the fairy tale for Nanny to tell to proto-Etonians, a wet dream of a sound bite to the Vote Leave campaign, and widely lapped up by the gullible (who never looked beyond the headline).

Brexit will be a large burden on the UK for years to come, but the leavers can only poke fun or say "it hasnt affected me".

Covid is a massive issue too, but let's not be blind to the problems and pressures of Brexit.

Archie_tect

I think that Brexit......
Craig, we have to come through the current hassle together.

Leave campaigners wouldn't have intended it to be like it is [well you'd hope so] but people can never say that they weren't warned. Sadly the Leave's campaign tactic of attacking all the Remain forecasts as 'Project Fear' successfully struck a chord with electorate, together with Gove's dismissal of experts... We are where we are.

Pale Rider

Veteran
So GDP is lower than it would have been,

I wondered when this would start from remainers.

I could just as easily claim GDP is higher than it would have been.

Given that we cannot go back in time and replay the different scenarios, there is no evidence for either assertion.

Remainers can forever claim we are worse off than we would have been.

Brexiteers can forever claim that we are better off than we would have been.

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Regular
I wondered when this would start from remainers.

I could just as easily claim GDP is higher than it would have been.

Given that we cannot go back in time and replay the different scenarios, there is no evidence for either assertion.

Remainers can forever claim we are worse off than we would have been.

Brexiteers can forever claim that we are better off than we would have been.
The government's own forecasts, not my assertion.

Forecasts are slightly inaccurate of course, but generally not tens of billions wrong.

BoldonLad

Rant: The leavers made much of the extra £350M per week for a good cause. Of course it would be welcome if not for the government's own projections showing Brexit would empty the coffers by a much larger amount.

Only after the vote the leavers began to admit this, eg Rees-Mogg famously suggesting as many as 50 years to recover, others saying it was "worth it for freedom" etc.

Rant continues: So GDP is lower than it would have been, and of course there were the massive costs of implementing Brexit itself - projections of £200 billion are often suggested - which I hope are a massive exaggeration.

Years of austerity had already cut services to the bone, including topic of the year: Bobbies on the beat.
The impact of Brexit just adds further pressures and as yet has not brought any tangible benefit.

I will give Brexit more time to show a tangible sustained benefit, but austerity had a decade and is still a disaster, so i'm not optimistic.

Unlucky timing that Covid hit when the country was least prepared for the costs- Or a useful distraction that Boris can blame for the damage inflicted by his government?

Seems that £350M a week was the fairy tale for Nanny to tell to proto-Etonians, a wet dream of a sound bite to the Vote Leave campaign, and widely lapped up by the gullible (who never looked beyond the headline).

Brexit will be a large burden on the UK for years to come, but the leavers can only poke fun or say "it hasnt affected me".

Covid is a massive issue too, but let's not be blind to the problems and pressures of Brexit.

I hope you feel better for that?

I voted remain ;)

Salty seadog

Seriously, having to spend under £2 on a sticker. How is that increasing anyones pain?

If anyone who has posted on this thread so far finds they cannot afford to go abroad now because of the cost of the sticker, I will buy them one, they just have to ask and I will sort it for them.
Every little helps.

Salty seadog

No, I can't do any of that, could you arrange for the remain team to have had a better campaign that wasn't relentlessly negative and run by sanctimonious, smug, 'we are all so much clearer with the truth than you' dickheads?

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Well, driving through Heidelberg yesterday like you do behold I saw a British car parked. This is very rare in itself especially these days but lo! it had the old EU/GB number plate plus a UK sticker on the back.

As the first to spot this am I eligible for the cyclechat prize of a £5 Woolworths voucher? :smile:

BoldonLad

Well, driving through Heidelberg yesterday like you do behold I saw a British car parked. This is very rare in itself especially these days but lo! it had the old EU/GB number plate plus a UK sticker on the back.

As the first to spot this am I eligible for the cyclechat prize of a £5 Woolworths voucher? :smile:
No. This is a cycling forum. If you had said “while cycling through….”, then maybe, but, driving earns you a de-merit 😊

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
No. This is a cycling forum. If you had said “while cycling through….”, then maybe, but, driving earns you a de-merit 😊
Do not pass go, do not collect ...

As it happens Heidelberg is planned for a ride this afternoon providing I can get it finished before the forecast rain 🌧 starts!

FishFright

No, I can't do any of that, could you arrange for the remain team to have had a better campaign that wasn't relentlessly negative and run by sanctimonious, smug, 'we are all so much cleverer than you' dickheads?

Who were correct.

Now its my turn to have a laugh, tell me about those sunny uplands we are all experiencing so we can all be positive.

Top Bottom