Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
"90% throbbing forehead vein" - Yup..
Cold War Steve, obviously.
C9F76EF1-CCF1-4707-9063-72835AF9DDA4.jpeg

I can see why he is bitter but he wants sanctions against individuals now his wife is home. There are other families with relatives still imprisoned in Iran who might fear that the sanctions will make their situation worse.

So all a regime has to do to avoid sanctions is to keep at least one hostage at all times?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
So all a regime has to do to avoid sanctions is to keep at least one hostage at all times?

Yes, sounds like a plan. Just have to hope that the last one hostage isn’t your relative. Alternatively, if a regime knows sanctions are going to be imposed AFTER releasing hostage(s), why bother releasing hostage(s) time around.

Milkfloat

I can see why he is bitter but he wants sanctions against individuals now his wife is home. There are other families with relatives still imprisoned in Iran who might fear that the sanctions will make their situation worse.

Maybe he is talking about sanctioning Boris.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

I don't know what the answer is. You could equally argue that in paying the money back to Iran, we gave in to hostage takers. I think it was the right thing to do, but it's not much of a deterrent to them. These are sanctions against individuals, not the State, as I understand it. Iran being a rogue state, where normal logic doesn't always apply, it seems like a strategy that could have huge implications for those still imprisoned in Iran whilst delivering little benefit overall.

Top Bottom