Nationalise, regulate or laissez-faire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
A pension fund will have investments in hundreds or possibly thousands of companies, only a small percentage of which will be likely to be in fossil fuel companies. They are averse to risk so spread investment widely.

The average member of a pension fund, even a very large fund, will have very little of their individual 'pot' in such companies, and the vast majority of pension fund holders do not have a scooby doo about the make-up of their pension fund.

The chance of a pension fund member being in a position to influence government decisions to enhance their fund value is negligible and is a totally different scenario to these HoL peers.

I didn’t say they (the pension fund member) could influence government decisions (other than their vote, as per the rest of use).

I bow to your superior knowledge of pension fund investment strategy… but… it is my understanding that risk level varies over time, ie, move into less risk, as retirement approaches. Also, the last I heard, BP and Shell were fossil fuel companies, and, are ‘regulars’ for pension funds.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I didn’t say they (the pension fund member) could influence government decisions (other than their vote, as per the rest of use).

I bow to your superior knowledge of pension fund investment strategy… but… it is my understanding that risk level varies over time, ie, move into less risk, as retirement approaches. Also, the last I heard, BP and Shell were fossil fuel companies, and, are ‘regulars’ for pension funds.

You are right about individual pension funds often being transferred to less risky investments such as gilts towards the retirement date but reputable, well established pension fund managers will not put money in risky investments at any stage in the investment and will spread that investment widely.

BP and Shell are staples of many large funds, but my point about them being a relatively small part of those funds, in the fund managers' drive for diversity and minimising of risks, still stands.

Pension fund managers operate under different, usually more conservative, requirements than investment fund managers.

BoldonLad

You are right about individual pension funds often being transferred to less risky investments such as gilts towards the retirement date but reputable, well established pension fund managers will not put money in risky investments at any stage in the investment and will spread that investment widely.

BP and Shell are staples of many large funds, but my point about them being a relatively small part of those funds, in the fund managers' drive for diversity and minimising of risks, still stands.

Pension fund managers operate under different, usually more conservative, requirements than investment fund managers.

I mustn’t be mistaken, I foolishly thought it was a Pension Fund all these years, must have been a gambling account.

BoldonLad

You would be wrong. Ethical investing has long been an option and anyone can opt for their pension contributions to only go into non-fossil fuel companies.

I don't doubt it. How about a link to some evidence as to how many actually DO make such an option?

PaulB

I don't doubt it. How about a link to some evidence as to how many actually DO make such an option?

Well I do, so that's a 100%. You were stating 'anyone who is a member of a non-public sector pension scheme has a stake in fossil fuel companies' but you stated without checking those pesky facts. How about a link to some evidence how many opt-out of the ethical option, clearly visible on the forms you have to sign?

BoldonLad

Well I do, so that's a 100%. You were stating 'anyone who is a member of a non-public sector pension scheme has a stake in fossil fuel companies' but you stated without checking those pesky facts. How about a link to some evidence how many opt-out of the ethical option, clearly visible on the forms you have to sign?

I am long past signing up for a pension scheme, so, no application forms to hand.

The very diligent MAY have avoided fossil fuels, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

Are you telling me that Private Sector Work place pension schemes offer individual ethical investing?

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Mine does so I have to say a big fat yes although your 'individual ethical investing' needs a lot of explaining although I suspect it might be deliberately wooly.

Pensions are, it would appear, a mystery to many people, and that is without delving into the possible next stage of Annuities

BoldonLad

No they're not. It's open and transparent and you can be guided through it if you know where to look.

I would agree, not complex, and, lots of resources, and, personally, not dissatisfied with my choices, but, most people who I speak to do not understand even the basics. Education needed, IMHO.

Perhaps you are smarter than the average bear yogi.

D

Deleted member 49

Whilst Labour move to the right to attract those floating voters,The Tories move left 🙄
Screenshot_20220829-122754.png

albion

Veteran
I do not quite see the point on nationalisation with such massive incompetence and corruption in government.

Top Bottom