Moderation Poll

Do you think NACA needs moderators

• Yes - based on the rules of CycleChat

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Yes - but only for the most egregious of posts (racism, swearing, nudity etc)

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • No - anything goes we are all adults and know what we signed up for.

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Why should we be? We see in real life that some people will say things to others that are illegal and bad enough to get them bound over or locked up. Do you really want to let them post here?

I find it completely unfathomable to think that the answer to excessive moderator workload is to abolish moderation instead of addressing the workload. It feels like reacting to riding into a hedge by concluding that next time you shouldn't put your hands on the bars at all!
So, who would be the moderators in a fair and impartial way?

Or to put it another who would you be happy to have make a decision on whether your post should or should not be allowed? Then when we all agree on 4 impartial and just people, we can see if they would like to be moderators.

So, who do you suggest?

mjr

So, who would be the moderators in a fair and impartial way?
As I posted back on page 2, I think that is premature but I do not think it will be a problem. If the rules are simple and correct, I think there would be plenty of acceptable possibilities.

So does this mean you agree that letting stalkers stalk on here is unacceptable?

OP
OP
Milkfloat

Milkfloat

But that won't happen. Think of, purely for the purposes of my point and nothing else, me and Shep were the mods involved, everyone more 'left' would cry foul. Similarly if the mods were FabFoodie and Mudsticks, those on the 'right' would cry foul.

If this is being set up to be a robust, grown up, more gloves off debating area, then it will be just impossible to find an impartial moderation team who could their own thoughts and prejudices out of the discussion. I remember making a point recently, which I seem to remember got me called a troll by some contributors, challenging anyone to come up with a truly independent chair for some inquiry or other. Absolutely no-one was able to come up with the name of someone who would be considered impartial, but lots of replies were made saying it would be easy, not one person was able to be nominated though. Trying to choose mods from amongst us will produce exactly the same problem!
I fully agree, which is why I think Mods should initially only deal with illegal posts and obvious spam as well as perhaps cleaning up and hiding when people post personal data by accident.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
As I posted back on page 2, I think that is premature but I do not think it will be a problem. If the rules are simple and correct, I think there would be plenty of acceptable possibilities.
But at some point the moderators will have to decide if something breaks the rules or doesn't. At that point we are back to the situation I have described in post #42

So does this mean you agree that letting stalkers stalk on here is unacceptable?
I have to admit, I just don't know what you are talking about with this comment.

mjr

At that point we are back to the situation I have described in post #42

I have to admit, I just don't know what you are talking about with this comment.
I was attempting to ascertain your response to the questions in the first paragraph of post #45.

I still don't think the situation in your earlier post is inevitable.

classic33

Maybe we can get an AI Moderator

D

Deleted member 28

Free for all but limit the amount people write to a couple of paragraphs as the length of some posts are just diabolical and a chore to read.

Pith FTW.

swansonj

Regular
Free for all but limit the amount people write to a couple of paragraphs as the length of some posts are just diabolical and a chore to read.
Brexit is going alright as far as I'm concerned, oh hang on, I'm selfish and "I'm alright Jack " sh*t for you (although it isn't) but no different for many.
You even admit yourself nothing has really changed yet 'you care about others ' .
I could come on here and say the same and I would be as noble as you.
Mudstick's posts may be longer than average, but I usually find I only have to read them once to understand the point they are making.

😀

mudsticks

Squire
Mudstick's posts may be longer than average, but I usually find I only have to read them once to understand the point they are making.

😀

Thing is

You come out with a snappy one liner??

Then you're just 'sniping'

Seems a tricky one to get right, right??

Top Bottom