Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I don't usually post just to 'have a go' at anyone but some of the posts here really take the biscuit.
Or else they're deliberately trying to offend.

Shep has already said he will ask his mate about the word half-cast. Then he gets a barrage of abuse. Comedy is alive and well here then, even if unconscious.

mudsticks

Squire
I don't usually post just to 'have a go' at anyone but some of the posts here really take the biscuit.

Shep has already said he will ask his mate about the word half-cast. Then he gets a barrage of abuse. Comedy is alive and well here then, even if unconscious.
The phrase 'giving as good as he gets' springs to mind.

Where did I say shep in particular was deliberately trying offend ??

I posited that as a reason that some people may use offensive language .

Fwiw Shep has in the past said that he 'doesnt particularly care' about what other people think or feel about his use of language.

He has been banned from the other site for that reason on multiple occasions.
Whether or not it was wholly justified is a moot point .

He does on occasion use homophobic and misogynistic language too.

If you ask him he'd probably quite happily confirm that.

It's not our job or responsibility or role as individuals, or even as a group to try to stop him (or anyone else) from doing that.

But equally well we are free to point it out if we feel the mark has been overstepped right ??

Or does free speech only go one way ??

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
...Where did I say shep in particular was deliberately trying offend ??

But equally well we are free to point it out if we feel the mark has been overstepped right ??
Or does free speech only go one way ??
I didn't say you were saying that. I feel it's overstepping the mark to respond to questions about use of language with general put-downs, whatever the past.

mudsticks

Squire
I didn't say you were saying that. I feel it's overstepping the mark to respond to questions about use of language with general put-downs, whatever the past.

Ok well I'm not sure why you quoted my post then.

What were you saying in particular about what I'd said.??

And if we can't ever reference 'the past' or past behaviours even, then we're going to have fairly limited conversations, aren't we??

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Ok well I'm not sure why you quoted my post then.
What were you saying in particular about what I'd said.??

And if we can't ever reference 'the past' or past behaviours even, then we're going to have fairly limited conversations, aren't we??
I quoted you because some posters were going out of the way to offend, after a reasonable discussion.

Heaping on the critique either way is going to limit conversation.

I think the way to tackle the past is to learn from it if possible rather than repeat it wholesale.

mudsticks

Squire
I quoted you because some posters were going out of the way to offend, after a reasonable discussion.

Heaping on the critique either way is going to limit conversation.

I think the way to tackle the past is to learn from it if possible rather than repeat it wholesale.

Ok I see, it wasn't clear why you'd quoted me in particular then, rather than others, perhaps you should have clarified..

But if we're going to talk about the inadvisability of 'heaping on critique' then perhaps you need to do that yourself, as well.

Otherwise it comes across as somewhat hypocritical - you're trying to 'manage' or 'critique' the conversation.

Or indeed performing backseat moderation, as I believe the kids call it nowadays..

Whilst suggesting others mustn't engage in critiquing others use of language

Third statement comes across as slightly obvious and trite - but don't mind me - it's a free speech for all on here so far..

In the meanwhile we can carry on with the

Live
Love
Laugh

... stuff that we're all so famously good at here in NACA :laugh:

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Apologies, please let me rephrase that,
"I don't usually post just to 'have a go' at anyone but some of the posts here really take the biscuit, or else they're deliberately trying to offend."
I wil try not to do it again.

mudsticks

Squire
It would be better to discuss issues than members' histories (and squabbles about those histories).
Surely there is enough shoot/joy out in the real world for us to discuss??

I wasn't solely referring to 'members' histories in particular, although sometimes that can be relevant.

However i now look forward to your taking to task anyone, who for instance chooses to suggest that i or any other members
'goes on about stuff' :rolleyes:

This injunction against referral to members 'history' needs to be across the board if its going to work properly ;)

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
ABBA songs.jpg

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I wasn't solely referring to 'members' histories in particular, although sometimes that can be relevant.

However i now look forward to your taking to task anyone, who for instance chooses to suggest that i or any other members
'goes on about stuff' :rolleyes:

This injunction against referral to members 'history' needs to be across the board if its going to work properly ;)

A touch of equal treatment even, that would be a novelty.

mudsticks

Squire
Ah. If you were referring to Greek history, or pre-soviet Siberian Art History, or perhaps Horrible Histories, then I apologize.
Carry on. 👍

That's a rather narrow subset of histories to which we are now allowed to refer :rolleyes:- if you don't mind me saying so .

You should apply to be a moderator - you'd get to make up arbitrary rules like that all the time - it would be such fun.. :okay:

n.b. Is an apology using American English - if in fact you're a native English speaker - the equivalent of saying sorry with your fingers crossed behind your back.??

Discuss - or maybe perhaps dont :wacko:

Do you work for the MET? :whistle:

Being a southwest bumpkin - i immediately thought of those sticklers for forecasting accuracy "The Met Office "
i guess you meant the other poliss lot up londin way ??

or is it the NY Opera house to which you are referring.??

Anyway - confusion - and distraction from actual* werk abounds ..

* can someone please arbitrarily ban me for wool spinning - and procrastination - TIA :whistle:

Top Bottom