Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cirrus

Whatever you say pal, in the 70's she would have been half cast with no racism implied so when and why did things change?

What 'race ' does she belong to then?

I've been pulled up on here before now because I referred to my Wife as 'my' as it was seen as being a derogatory term?

If this is the sort of thing I have to be wary of saying I'm glad I don't live in your World, as I'm sure you are.
If people want to take offense then they will do, no matter how many egg shells people tread on. Once one avenue is mined out they will find another seam to feed their indignation, they are never sated even when they gorge themselves, they always hunger for it.

Pale Rider

Veteran
If people want to take offense then they will do, no matter how many egg shells people tread on. Once one avenue is mined out they will find another seam to feed their indignation, they are never sated even when they gorge themselves, they always hunger for it.

At least Shep didn't refer to his Jamaican mate as Chalky.

Wokeism may slowly be reaching Wolverhampton.

mudsticks

Squire

I've not actually found that to be the case in the circles I move in.

You must have a very sensitive bunch of aquaintance - sounds like hard work.

mudsticks

Squire
Sounds like a wearisomely worthy and dull bunch.

Free thinking not allowed.

I don't think you should judge Cirrus's circle so quickly - that's constrained thinking right there

They may well have redeeming qualities alongside their extreme sensitivity.

Otherwise why would he hang out with them..??

swansonj

Regular
And?

Never heard the phrase 'half Scottish, Polish, German' etc?

Is it only unacceptable when referring to non White people?
This seems to have become a theme across multiple threads here of late.

Language is not symmetrical across power imbalances. Punching down is not the same as punching up. When I as a white person or as a male use a given set of terms to someone of global majority heritage or to a woman, they can carry very different implications and meaning to when that person uses the apparently equivalent terms to me.

mudsticks

Squire

Language is not symmetrical across power imbalances. Punching down is not the same as punching up. When I as a white person or as a male use a given set of terms to someone of global majority heritage or to a woman, they can carry very different implications and meaning to when that person uses the apparently equivalent terms to me.

Sorry mate, too long, too many words.

Too much thinking / considering someone else pov required.

But worth a try right??

D

Deleted member 28

This makes no sense to me at all, Power imbalance?

Being half Scottish is punching somewhere different to half Jamaican, have I got this right?

Who decides this then?

Top Bottom