Maureen Lipman: Cancel culture could wipe out comedy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Please elucidate. Is Jewish a race?

Yes. This is worth a read for further elucidation and ties back to the mention of David Baddiel earlier.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jews-Dont-Count-David-Baddiel/dp/0008399514/

icowden

Legendary Member
The article includes, from Russell Kane (no idea who he is)

You need to get out more. A former Edinburgh Comedy Award winner he has appeared on multiple TV shows including as host of Live at the Electric and as the lead personality in "Stupid Man, Smart Phone", as well as the usual run of panel shows. He is very funny and well worth seeing.

That aside, I find slightly confusing that he has been citing as a the "opposing" voice to Maureen Lipman's opinions but has deleted his tweets older than 6 months in case he gets "cancelled" - thus indicating that he is also concerned about the current situation.

It's not a very good article and it looks like the interviewer has pulled out a bit of an interview to make an article out of.

matticus

Guru
It's not a very good article and it looks like the interviewer has pulled out a bit of an interview to make an article out of.
I agree with some of your post, but I actually think it's a GREAT article because it covers lots of different angles to this issue.
(e.g. Russell Kane making two statements that arguably support both sides of the argument - assuming that this IS an argument ... )

FishFright

Cancel culture , woke , the world is going bonkers .

Reassessing the past, being conscious of the world's ills , the world is showing that not everyone is a selfish twartt.

Pale Rider

Veteran
A female (as in gender) impersonator said she was thinking of giving up performing because of all the aggro she got for her routine.

Matters came to a head when ITV ripped the guts out of a routine which she said she had written specially to be innocuous and suitable for family viewing.

That's all a matter of judgment, but there does appear to be some cancelling going on.

Maureen Lipman may not be at the cutting edge of comedy, but it's also likely she knows what she's talking about having no doubt spoken to lots of people in showbiz.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
👍

Do you agree with his views on Cancel Culture ( in the recent social meeja docco)?

What do you think about his Jason Lee blackface performances?
To be fair, I'm not familiar with either sufficiently to pass comment.
I don't find him laugh-out-loud funny, but amusing and thought provoking and generally worth listening too.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Yes. This is worth a read for further elucidation and ties back to the mention of David Baddiel earlier.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jews-Dont-Count-David-Baddiel/dp/0008399514/

Not to open a another can of worms, but just reading the blurb on that book, I find his assertion quite surprising:

It is the comedian and writer David Baddiel’s contention that one type of racism has been left out of this fight. In his unique combination of reasoning, polemic, personal experience and jokes, Baddiel argues that those who think of themselves as on the right side of history have often ignored the history of anti-Semitism. He outlines why and how, in a time of intensely heightened awareness of minorities, Jews don’t count as a real minority.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You need to get out more. A former Edinburgh Comedy Award winner he has appeared on multiple TV shows including as host of Live at the Electric and as the lead personality in "Stupid Man, Smart Phone", as well as the usual run of panel shows. He is very funny and well worth seeing.

That aside, I find slightly confusing that he has been citing as a the "opposing" voice to Maureen Lipman's opinions but has deleted his tweets older than 6 months in case he gets "cancelled" - thus indicating that he is also concerned about the current situation.

Perhaps, that is a key point, ie Confusion

Thanks for the advice on my viewing habits ;)

icowden

Legendary Member
Do you agree with his views on Cancel Culture ( in the recent social meeja docco)?
What do you think about his Jason Lee blackface performances?

Haven't had time to watch it yet.

With relation to the Jason Lee performances I believe that Baddiel has expressed regret for those, but has not taken the opportunity to apologise to Jason Lee. At the point that the shows were made, it was not a particularly unusual thing to do and I don't like the current system of going back 30 years to find something to take offence at.

I do think that people should be able to work out that if something was recorded or made a long time ago, then things might not match up to modern societal norms. Hence Cleese getting annoyed when Netflix pulled an episode of Fawlty Towers, and my own dislike of the nannying statements you get on streaming sites about programmes containing things that might be upsetting now but weren't then.

PK99

Regular
You have accused me of 'resorting to a racist trope', I'm asking for you to explain your accusation.

A simple observation on my part. We saw the same from Corbyn and the Anti semitic left not long ago. I suggest you stop digging

Top Bottom