Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
This encapsulates it...

View: https://youtu.be/p3q2iZuU5WM

slowmotion

Don't believe that British Exceptionalism! The general standard of broadcasting in the UK is also pretty poor. Spend a while watching Really or itvBe, or look at That's TV "local" services for a dodgy use of the licence fee since the Cameron government diverted some of it to private channels. Much of what raises UK minor channels is repeating old shows made by the Public Service Broadcasters.

Other nearby countries don't do badly either but the language difference means we rarely see their shows outside BBC4 and the Channel 4 stations, unless they are in English and usually coproductions with BBC or itv, such as The Tourist and Around the World in 80 Days, both coproduced with Germany's ZDF and the latter with several more including RTBF, France TV and RAI. Which reminds me: RAI seems pretty poor but I think media mogul Berlusconi broke it while in government.

But most of those countries also fund public service broadcasters with some sort of TV tax.
I didn't explain it very well. I was just suggesting that, overall, the standard of radio and TV broadcasting by the BBC is far better than almost any alternative.

mjr

So why is the BBC product so much better than theirs?
I don't think it is. Many of the best bits of "the BBC product" either have equivalents (fip is arguably better than 6 Music, for example) or are actually their product as well (such as the drama coproductions I mentioned), or coproductions with US producers/broadcasters.

But the BBC is better than the broadcasters of the other similar-size European countries that have a lower or no licence fee: the BBC is better than Italy's RAI where politics messed them up, saw the licence fee cut to €100 inc VAT (leading to RAI's budget being about half of the BBC's) and there are proposals to abolish it (not sure how far gone it is); and better than Turkey, where TRT is funded by a tax on receivers plus some grants and adverts, but its total budget is I think about £150m at today's exchange rate (compared to £5bn for the BBC).

So these proposals look like they'll probably relegate the BBC to the second division. I suspect that is what Boris wants: in the past, his office has pressed the BBC to cancel shows that make fun of him, but they can't easily cancel the whole news service.

matticus

Guru
So these proposals look like they'll probably relegate the BBC to the second division. I suspect that is what Boris wants: in the past, his office has pressed the BBC to cancel shows that make fun of him, but they can't easily cancel the whole news service.
That sounds about right.

Meanwhile:
what is "fip"? And which countries with equivalent licence fee (or tax, or subsidy etc) are you saying matchup to the UK?

(Please don't say the US - we do import a lot of their stuff, but it's still the minority of quality TV aired here, and they consume 100 times as much utter rubbish!)

mjr

what is "fip"? And which countries with equivalent licence fee (or tax, or subsidy etc) are you saying matchup to the UK?
fip is the Radio France all-music station. www.fip.fr

I am saying that France Televisions / Radio France (TV licence €139/year) and Germany's ARD / ZDF / DLF stations (TV licence €210/year) are in the same league as the UK (whether they match up, exceed or fall behind varies from year to year) and I suspect that is primarily a result of a similar population multiplied by a similar licence fee.

Broadcasters in those countries also put out a lot of dross but so do some in the UK. We probably should also remember that the BBC has easier options to collaborate with US broadcasters, making it look bigger/better.

(Please don't say the US - we do import a lot of their stuff, but it's still the minority of quality TV aired here, and they consume 100 times as much utter rubbish!)
Yes, it is an eye-opener when you look at the TV schedule for a US city (rather than the network schedules) and see how little good stuff is on that isn't sold overseas anyway, and how good shows are either put up against each other (if on different networks) or run nose-tail to try to hold onto audience (if on the same network). You'll find things to watch but probably not as much as you expect: https://nocable.org/tv-listings/zip/31401-savannah-ga/?t=primetime

The US's public service broadcasters are much smaller than one would expect for a country of over 300m, funded by about $500m from general taxation with less than a fifth of that going towards program production. Almost the same income comes from donations. It doesn't seem like a good approach, does it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran

Moodyman

Nadine Dorris has just broken down in tears in the House of Commons when praising the BBC for their brave impartial reporting in Ukraine.

Total hypocrisy from the woman trying to scrap the license fee.

I must disagree with the often touted 'impartial'. The Beeb may be impartial when it comes to domestic politics or the right vs left issues, but when it comes to foreign affairs, the Auntie takes a government line.

Having said that, it's far better than it's US peers and many other state broadcasters (thinking of you RT).

matticus

Guru
when it comes to foreign affairs, the Auntie takes a government line.

Having said that, it's far better than it's US peers and many other state broadcasters (thinking of you RT).
In the dictionary, under
"Damning with faint praise"

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
I must disagree with the often touted 'impartial'. The Beeb may be impartial when it comes to domestic politics or the right vs left issues, but when it comes to foreign affairs, the Auntie takes a government line.

Show me any other mainstream media that doesn’t.
They all have an agenda of sorts with international news.
I’d be more interested to hear which organisations are better than BBC.

Moodyman

Show me any other mainstream media that doesn’t.
They all have an agenda of sorts with international news.
I’d be more interested to hear which organisations are better than BBC.

Not "better" as that's subjective, but I find Al Jazeera (English version) are a good alternative. They tend to delve into international affairs much better.

Milzy

A large percentage of the U.K. don’t even pay the fee. Nobody ever bothers to check on them.
Also many people may not have a TV but will still watch bbc on phones & devices without a license.

Top Bottom