Jubilee - celebrate, ignore or bemoan?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
When you have a spare moment, please post a picture. I've been a fan of tractors and other industrial plant ever since I gazed in awe at the tower cranes building Hampshire County Council's offices when I was little more than a toddler.
Tbh I've got a bit of a weakness for heavy plant too... 😇

Shouldn't love it but ...

One of my first jobs at the tender age of 18, was spending the summer constructing fishing lakes with a mahoosive great JCB swing shovel.

Can't help slowing down to see what's going on on a building site ...

This was an exciting day chez Mudsticks..

Screenshot_20220517-073719.png

Ian H

Guru
Generally considered “poor form” by whom? Not by a group of tradiontionalist gammons by chance?

You'd have to find my original post to see the context.

matticus

Guru
I agree by being associated with or named for 'Empire' it sends an outdated, old-fashioned backwards looking message.
Which harks back to a less than edifying time in our history.

Something.more modern and egalitarian, aspirational for how we'd like to become , would be more useful imo .

I don't see how this could ever work. What if you don't like the current regime? Will awards need to be updated again in 10 years time to reflect the new, improved, even-more-forward thinking view?

I think re-labelling is always destined to fail, plus I believe in standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants; most successes in society are based on something in the past - even the liberal advances that will save the world have some grounding in academic/philosophical work done <shudder> back when society was even less fair than now. And we are pretty much ALL shaped by knowledge or wisdom from our elders and betters sorry, ancestors. Deleting history is dangerous, as is denying the bits we don't like. That doesn't mean we "wallow" in all the crap bits - like every human, society comes with good and bad. Always will.

mudsticks

Squire
I don't see how this could ever work. What if you don't like the current regime? Will awards need to be updated again in 10 years time to reflect the new, improved, even-more-forward thinking view?

I think re-labelling is always destined to fail, plus I believe in standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants; most successes in society are based on something in the past - even the liberal advances that will save the world have some grounding in academic/philosophical work done <shudder> back when society was even less fair than now. And we are pretty much ALL shaped by knowledge or wisdom from our elders and betters sorry, ancestors. Deleting history is dangerous, as is denying the bits we don't like. That doesn't mean we "wallow" in all the crap bits - like every human, society comes with good and bad. Always will.
Re labelling is always destined to fail..??

Really.??

Things, ideas, institutions, political parties and a whole host of other things get relabelled very often..

Otherwise we'd all still be speaking Middle English, and using all kinds of terms which nowadays would seem hopelessly outdated.

By no longer calling awards ...
_____ of the British Empire.

We acknowledge that were not really so very proud of that episode in our history.

It doesn't deny, or try to delete what went on, during our colonial history, quite the reverse it shows were not celebrating it, any more..

There's absolutely no need to be snide about suggesting that 'liberal' advances were made with a backdrop of what already existed historically..

That's self evident, and doesn't actually prove or disprove the value of any advance.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Well it's obvious isn't it?

Ian H does.💪

I think Debrett's suggest nobody below field officer. Basically if you get invited to the sorts of parties where people are addressed by their titles, those are the people who will know and care.

Ian H

Guru
Re labelling is always destined to fail..??

Really.??
I think @matticus is still upset about the CTC. And possibly the RTTC. And perhaps even the BCF. There are also the LVRC and The League International. All renamed.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You don't get invited to those parties, do you?

Not so much parties, but, I do get invited to several "Gentlemens Clubs", and, occasionally to that Golfing place near Virginia Water, wide circle of acquaintances I have. ;)

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
I think @matticus is still upset about the CTC. And possibly the RTTC. And perhaps even the BCF. There are also the LVRC and The League International. All renamed.

Well Tbh I too was pretty livid about that LVRC rebrand , what a load of old cobblers

And don't get me started on the the renaming of SWCFBGB ...

Them meddling PC kids..:angry:

Hrrmph, Is nothing sacred..

I think Debrett's suggest nobody below field officer. Basically if you get invited to the sorts of parties where people are addressed by their titles, those are the people who will know and care.

At my senior school the chap who looked after the sports hall, polished the medicine balls and so on, liked to be known as Flight Sergeant Fisher or just "Flight" by other staff. I remember being quite impressed as an eleven year old; I think that was the intention.

mudsticks

Squire
At my senior school the chap who looked after the sports hall, polished the medicine balls and so on, liked to be known as Flight Sergeant Fisher or just "Flight" by other staff. I remember being quite impressed as an eleven year old; I think that was the intention.

I insist everyone hereabouts, addresses me as "Wing Commander Mudsticks"

No reason , never flown a plane , but I like to think it conveys an air of authority :laugh:

Top Bottom