IndyRef 2 - ExBrit Means ExBrit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
in scotland your an immigrant......the word is what you make of it. Dont like it, tough shoot
Wow redefining the English language now. Until Scotland becomes a foreign country, any Englishman or Welshman living there is not an immigrant. It also gets more complicated. I was born in England, so by your measure if I move to Scotland I am an immigrant. However my paternal grandparents were both Scottish and I have a long line of paternal ancestry which is entirely Scottish.

Personally I think the issues that Scotland faces are as follows:-
  • England has a population of 55 million people. Scotland has 5.5 million people. Wales 3 million and NI 2 million. Essentially the UK political parties don't need to care about NI, Scotland and Wales as they can get a majority from England.
  • Scotland would be viable as a Country and has been treated very badly historically by Conservative Governments firstly through the death of industry and secondly through the impact of Brexit. This doesn't help with Unity.
  • Scotland has a very strong national identity which is different to England.
  • There is no instrument by which Scotland can legally secede from the Union without Westminster's permission.
A good solution would actually be to get a sensible centrist Government which could address the issues and sort things out:
  • Talks with Scotland - establish what can be done to give Scotland more independence of Government, better funding, etc. reach a consensus for a way forward.
  • Re-join single market and establish proper trading relationships and freedom of movement with the EU
  • Abandon austerity and start to fund measures that stimulate the economy such as public works etc.
  • Introduce representational democracy so that all votes count (get rid of first past the post) so that Governments are more inclusive and work cross party for the good of the country.
Whilst we have a government of incompetence led by people only in it for themselves we will not move forward. See Braverman, Raab etc for more details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Wow redefining the English language now. Until Scotland becomes a foreign country, any Englishman or Welshman living there is not an immigrant. It also gets more complicated. I was born in England, so by your measure if I move to Scotland I am an immigrant. However my paternal grandparents were both Scottish and I have a long line of paternal ancestry which is entirely Scottish.

• England has a population of 55 million people. Scotland has 5.5 million people. Wales 3 million and NI 2 million. Essentially the UK political parties don't need to care about NI, Scotland and Wales as they can get a majority from England.
  • Scotland would be viable as a Country and has been treated very badly historically by Conservative Governments firstly through the death of industry and secondly through the impact of Brexit. This doesn't help with Unity.
  • There is no instrument by which Scotland can legally secede from the Union without Westminster's permission.
A good solution would actually be to get a sensible centrist Government which could address the issues and sort things out:
  • Talks with Scotland - establish what can be done to give Scotland more independence of Government, better funding, etc. reach a consensus for a way forward.
  • Re-join single market and establish proper trading relationships and freedom of movement with the EU
  • Abandon austerity and start to fund measures that stimulate the economy such as public works etc.
  • Introduce representational democracy so that all votes count (get rid of first past the post) so that Governments are more inclusive and work cross party for the good of the country.
Whilst we have a government of incompetence led by people only in it for themselves we will not move forward. See Braverman, Raab etc for more details.

not redifining anything, hes an econimical migrant from england.......as for the rest of your post, just a load of bollocks really.

1669291463578.png

So as england and scotland are countries in their own right, he's an immigrant

Ian H

Guru
not redifining anything, hes an econimical migrant from england.......as for the rest of your post, just a load of bollocks really.

View attachment 2541

So as england and scotland are countries in their own right, he's an immigrant

A citizen of the UK moving to another part of the UK doesn't acquire immigrant status. You can can make a jocular remark to that effect, but it's only name-calling, there's no status in law.

jowwy

A citizen of the UK moving to another part of the UK doesn't acquire immigrant status. You can can make a jocular remark to that effect, but it's only name-calling, there's no status in law.

i never said they did at any point in any of my posts.......but by the definition above in the Colins Dictionary, hes an immigrant

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
He acceded to the English throne only because he was Elizabeth I’s closest surviving relative when she died (his great-great grandfather being Henry VII), making him a king of two separate countries.

The matter at hand today is how Scotland returns to being an independent country when England seems determined to deny the route to that democratic choice. And I’m not sure what you meant by ‘nationalistic fervour’ earlier (perhaps you could explain what that is and why it worries you), independence is a normal state for any country.

For “Nationalistic fervour” let us just say that flag waving crowds (of any nationality) cause me unease.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Why not explain what you mean instead of using ‘let us just say’ as an avoidance?

flag waving crowds (of any nationality) cause me unease.

Happy now?

BoldonLad

Bolded items in order:

Exactly why I fail to understand the "Englishman", "German", "Irishman", "***man" (where *** is any Country you care to mention. Just how many generations ago "counts" for people to claim Nationality? Seems a bit close being a "pure Aryan" to me.

The same could be said for any subdivision of the UK (and, no doubt, any other Country/State), The area in which I live has suffered almost complete de-industrialisation, in my lifetime. Governments of all parties have done little or nothing to address this. Should we insist on "Independence", if we go back far enough, it was a separate Kingdom, before those pesky Romans poked their noses in.

I fail to see how dividing us (ie people) into groups, and assigning labels, is actually helpful. The EU was heading (slowly) toward a Federal Structure, no problem with that, IMHO.

Last edited:

jowwy

Wales has also suffered at the hands of the tories…..still not bitching and moaning like two year olds, wanting their dummy back

Top Bottom