IndyRef 2 - ExBrit Means ExBrit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I never said it was a voluntary union of equals. I said, a Scots King became King of both places, and, formed a United Kingdom.
May I humbly suggest that monarchical succession is not the best process with which to determine the future of any sensible nation?
Nationalistic fervour
It’s the Scottish National Party, not Nationalist, a subtle but important difference.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
May I humbly suggest that monarchical succession is not the best process with which to determine the future of any sensible nation?

It’s the Scottish National Party, not Nationalist, a subtle but important difference.

I didn’t say the “N” in SNP, stood for Nationalist.

I would agree about the Monarchy bit, I am not a Royalist.

classic33

Which country controls the destiny of another??? Parliment is made up of MPS from all 4 nations and tory MPs come from 3 of them……..
What are these four nations you mention? Can you name the last Irish MP* to sit in the House of Commons?
Ireland isn't part of the union anymore. Northern Ireland is two thirds, "The Six", of the Province of Ulster. The other third is in Ireland.

*They represented a seat/constituency in Ireland, not "The Six".

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
You must be very proud, I assume life in Scotland is working out for you?
I've lived here for about 34 years, which is the vast majority of my adult life, I have no wish at all to live anywhere else in the British Isles. Pride doesn't enter into it but Scotland's politics are a closer match to my own than most of the rest of the UK. The weather can be a bit sh!t if you like cycling & motorcycling but I'll take that.

Not that I recall. Please, enlighten me, who was bribed?
Read about the Darien Scheme, which was a financially ruinous attempt to colonise Panama in the 1690s, backed by a bunch of rich Scots investors to the tune of about 1/5 of Scotland's entire wealth. Out of the 40 signatories to the Act Of Union, around 30 were Darien investors, who received full reimbursement for their losses as recompense for signing away Scotland's parliament. This is the subject of Burns' poem 'Parcel Of Rogues', which the 'bought and sold' quote comes from.

Neither has wales, but we dont cry like a bunch of pansies about it, at every oppurtunity…….get on with life and stop farking moaning you english immigrant.
From this latitude it looks like the Welsh independence movement is healthy and growing fast, and I doubt it'll be discouraged at all by the obvious disdain and contempt for the devolved nations being demonstrated by the UK establishment.

Top tip for you - attempting to use words like 'immigrant' as an insult or attack line does have the effect of making the user come across like some sort of disgusting blood-and-soil racist scumbag. You don't want to be that guy, do you? :smile:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
I've lived here for about 34 years, which is the vast majority of my adult life, I have no wish at all to live anywhere else in the British Isles. Pride doesn't enter into it but Scotland's politics are a closer match to my own than most of the rest of the UK. The weather can be a bit sh!t if you like cycling & motorcycling but I'll take that.

Read about the Darien Scheme, which was a financially ruinous attempt to colonise Panama in the 1690s, backed by a bunch of rich Scots investors to the tune of about 1/5 of Scotland's entire wealth. Out of the 40 signatories to the Act Of Union, around 30 were Darien investors, who received full reimbursement for their losses as recompense for signing away Scotland's parliament. This is the subject of Burns' poem 'Parcel Of Rogues', which the 'bought and sold' quote comes from.

From this latitude it looks like the Welsh independence movement is healthy and growing fast, and I doubt it'll be discouraged at all by the obvious disdain and contempt for the devolved nations being demonstrated by the UK establishment.

Top tip for you - attempting to use words like 'immigrant' as an insult or attack line does have the effect of making the user come across like some sort of disgusting blood-and-soil racist scumbag. You don't want to be that guy, do you? :smile:

in scotland your an immigrant......the word is what you make of it. Dont like it, tough shoot

jowwy

What are these four nations you mention? Can you name the last Irish MP* to sit in the House of Commons?
Ireland isn't part of the union anymore. Northern Ireland is two thirds, "The Six", of the Province of Ulster. The other third is in Ireland.

*They represented a seat/constituency in Ireland, not "The Six".

4 nations - England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales....thats 4 when i last counted.

and if you think Northern Ireland isn't a nation in it self, go tell them and see what happens.

Now do me a favour, fark off, cause you really are a thick farking troll, that i cant be dealing with.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Thanks for the information. Not sure I see what greedy Scots in 1690 has to do with James VI becoming king of England, but, we all see things differently.

Mr Celine

Thanks for the information. Not sure I see what greedy Scots in 1690 has to do with James VI becoming king of England, but, we all see things differently.

You're confusing the 1603 union of the crowns with the 1707 union of the parliaments.
After 1603 Scotland and England were still independent nations and were at war after the English had the cheek to execute our king.

S'funny thing, but that Hadrian seemed to have the answer back in them olden days....

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

He acceded to the English throne only because he was Elizabeth I’s closest surviving relative when she died (his great-great grandfather being Henry VII), making him a king of two separate countries.

The matter at hand today is how Scotland returns to being an independent country when England seems determined to deny the route to that democratic choice. And I’m not sure what you meant by ‘nationalistic fervour’ earlier (perhaps you could explain what that is and why it worries you), independence is a normal state for any country.

icowden

Legendary Member
LIke it says in my avatar, Scotland has not elected a Tory government in nearly 70 years.
Well that's a little bit arguable isn't it?

Scotland didn't have the ability to elect *any* government for the first 41 of those years. Since the Scottish devolved Government was created in 1997 it was firstly a Lib/Lab coalition until 2007 since when it has always been a majority SNP Government.

I presume what your little picture refers to is that the share of seats in UK parliament held by scotland has pretty much always been majority labour with the exception of 1951 to 1955 when it was an even con/lab split and 1955 to 1959 when it was majority Conservative. We can also see that over time, Labour has gained support and the conservatives have lost support. The key loss of support was in the 80s when the Conservative government decimated the heavy industry established in Scotland leaving behind a legacy of poverty and social dislocation. Same story as North of England really. They have just always had enough support in the South that the North and Scotland haven't mattered. They have catered for where the wealth is and ensured that those key voters have prospered.

It may be that we have reached the point at which it will severely bite them in the gonads.

jowwy

He acceded to the English throne only because he was Elizabeth I’s closest surviving relative when she died (his great-great grandfather being Henry VII), making him a king of two separate countries.

The matter at hand today is how Scotland returns to being an independent country when England seems determined to deny the route to that democratic choice. And I’m not sure what you meant by ‘nationalistic fervour’ earlier (perhaps you could explain what that is and why it worries you), independence is a normal state for any country.

Current polls suggest only 28% of the scottish people want a ref: on independence, so why not concentrate on getting that upto 50%+ before even asking westminster for a 2nd indy ref....looking at the yougov data, you may get there in 5yrs, but still not near 50%+

1669287301067.png

This data is also pretty damning, with only 16% thinking independence is a top concern

1669287472633.png

And lets add this bit too

1669287631267.png

Last edited:
Current polls suggest only 28% of the scottish people want a ref: on independence, so why not concentrate on getting that upto 50%+ before even asking westminster for a 2nd indy ref....looking at the yougov data, you may get there in 5yrs, but still not near 50%+

This data is also pretty damning, with only 16% thinking independence is a top concern.

If that's accurate and does not change then the SNP will struggle to get a mandate; maybe Labour or a Labour led coalition would be back at Holyrood.

Top Bottom