Incredibly brave young women in Iran...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

C R

Would it be looked upon as acceptable if this went on in the UK?

It is complicated. The UK is not a theocracy, and, for now at least, there's a right to protest.

In Iran the mullahs in general are a part of the theocracy, so publicly disrespecting them is seen as attacking one of the symbols of the regime. I can tell you that in general they were never liked in general, even by religious people.

Personally, my wife and I don't like turban tossing. At the end of the day, one can never know what the personal opinions of a particular mullah are. There's also the risk of the protesters becoming what they protest against. There are a couple of videos circulating where it turned quite nasty. One of the videos takes place in what looks like a metro carriage in Tehran, a mullah has his turban tossed, and when he remonstrates the whole carriage seem to gang up on him, the video doesn't show how it ended.

C R

Iran targeting people in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63647366
This is not new. In her book "A Beginner's Guide to Acting English" Shaparak Khorsandi tells the story of how the Khorsandi family were put under police protection because there was a credible threat to her father's life. That was in the '80s.

In the meantime the protests continue all over the country. In Tehran the basijis rampaged through metro carriages beating women who didn't wear head cover, and causing panic in the platforms.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-tehran-metro-station-and-beat-women-on-train

This one hit hard, our son is also called Kian, and he is 11

View: https://twitter.com/1500tasvir_en/status/1592950109574115328?s=20&t=SYe831MjVYnkV5S9fmvGbQ

spen666

Something tangible we can do here.
Contact your MP .

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/60293/protests-in-iran

Will it actually do anything?

Its an EDM that few would oppose, but even if it passed with 100% of MPs supporting it, it will change nothing.

In reality this is more of a comfort blanket to people in this country who can pretend to themselves they are doing something.

No, i'm not defending what the authorities are doing in Iran. Based on what I have seen, heard and read, no reasonable person would try to condone what the Iranian authorities are doing.

ebikeerwidnes

Its an EDM that few would oppose, but even if it passed with 100% of MPs supporting it, it will change nothing.

In reality this is more of a comfort blanket to people in this country who can pretend to themselves they are doing something.

No, i'm not defending what the authorities are doing in Iran. Based on what I have seen, heard and read, no reasonable person would try to condone what the Iranian authorities are doing.

Each letter to an MP will do very little
(especially to my MP!!!)

but if a lot of people send them then it puts pressure on the government to keep it in the front rather than letting it dissipate

Even my MP passes such letters onto 'the relevant authorities'

I will do something today!

spen666

Each letter to an MP will do very little
(especially to my MP!!!)

but if a lot of people send them then it puts pressure on the government to keep it in the front rather than letting it dissipate

Even my MP passes such letters onto 'the relevant authorities'

I will do something today!

There is virtually nothing our Government can do. Iran is already a pariah state and short of military invasion of Iran there is little the Government can do, even is every MP supported this EDM.
as I said this is more about people pretending to themselves they are doing something, whereas in reality it is achieving nothing, because we as individuals, as a nation and as a western alliance are pretty toothless in the face of what is happening internally in a large foreign power

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire

I don't know for sure if it will help.
I don't see how it can hurt.

We are lucky to have free choices to speak out.

You can't always be sure how even small actions have an effect.
Like a pebble in a pond, the effect ripples out.

It's a very small effort to make, on behalf of people struggling, even if it only shows solidarity.

As for 'comfort blanket' for people in this country, well who knows maybe it is even that too .

Does that really matter, if doing it doesn't actually hurt anyone??

What I do know, however, is that some people use "Theres no point in doing anything, so I won't bother" as a 'comfort blanket' of lazy cynicism, to justify their own inaction.

They're lucky to have that freedom of choice, those freedom's were fought for by someone.

Ian H

Guru
Those with access to foreign media will see alternative narratives and the amount of support for the protests. Such things might help bolster their resolve.
Also there are rumours that Khamenei is on his last legs. If he goes there just might be a change for the better.

the snail

Good point, better to do nothing at all then.

Top Bottom