Incredibly brave young women in Iran...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
Come on now, you know there is no point in getting interested in or concerned over anything that's happening outside your little area or that doesn't directly upset your cosy little world.
No good will come of it. Concern, like charity, begins...and ends...at home.

Yep thanks👍🏼

I am very aware that the 'least' that others can actually manage is giving the square root of fuq all, for what anyone else is enduring. but t'was ever thus.

• Hugs
Reactions: C R

C R

There's no sign of the crackdown easing, with seppah putting particular pressure on students
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...an-security-forces-attack-university-campuses
On the other hand the increased violence doesn't seem to have dampened the protests.

Apparently, one of the newspapers close to the government has today published an editorial saying that there's no evidence that the protests are managed from abroad, and that the government should establish a broad dialogue with the nation with the purpose of creating a more inclusive political framework. I haven't been able to find a source for this in English. This seems to be quite a bold statement from a paper that is seen as a mouthpiece of the regime.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
There's no sign of the crackdown easing, with seppah putting particular pressure on students
https://www.theguardian.com/global-...an-security-forces-attack-university-campuses
On the other hand the increased violence doesn't seem to have dampened the protests.

Apparently, one of the newspapers close to the government has today published an editorial saying that there's no evidence that the protests are managed from abroad, and that the government should establish a broad dialogue with the nation with the purpose of creating a more inclusive political framework. I haven't been able to find a source for this in English. This seems to be quite a bold statement from a paper that is seen as a mouthpiece of the regime.
Thanks, thats an interesting, and possibly hopeful development.

C R

Thanks, thats an interesting, and possibly hopeful development.

It is difficult to know. It very much depends on Khamenei and whoever gets his ear. For all we know the writer of that editorial is now enjoying the hospitality of seppah.

Yesterday was the anniversary of the taking of the US embassy, which precipitated the fall of the provisional national unity government that followed the shah's departure and Khomeini's take over. My wife found a video at a high school where a teacher tried to start a "marg bar Amrica" -death to America- chant, and the students answered with "marg bar dictator" -death to the dictator. Made our day. I'll get the link to share here.

ETA, here's the link

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CklJZyBqu1O/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D

it is audio only, easy to make out the words. Bear in mind that there's no hiding for these girls, the teacher knows who each of them are, and yet they did it.

Last edited:

C R

Side effects of the protests. Internet access has been severely restricted for over a month now. The main earner for mobile operators is selling internet access, so their business model has effectively evaporated, it will be interesting to see how the effects on the general economy affect the regime.

Since the protests started, seppah and the basijis have used ambulances to move personnel and prisoners around surreptitiously. Apparently they have now started using lorries from the Walls iranian equivalent. This has caused a mass boycott of this brand. Employees of the brand are pleading with people to stop the boycott lest the company go under.

Sorry, no sources for this in English.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
That's not addressing the accusation that you made that it is left wing media (or attitudes) are ignoring, or stopping full reporting of the protests in Iran.
That's because you misinterpreted my point, i don't say there underreporting, because the discussion of under or over reporting is endless.
My point is we can have all the equality laws in the world in the west, as long as there are
- random attacks on people just because they happen to be gay/trans/lbtqhtc++ (sorry don't keep track off the right order)
- attacks on women because the religion of the attacker(s) says women in a (short)skirt are bad women so it's free for all or words with the same meaning
- teachers can not teach in the way we want to because of some people thinking it's insults their religion (and lead to protests, beheadings etc.)

Above are just a view points, examples , but all of the above if you criticize them enough on them you called ''islamophobic'' while there isn't really an term for all those muslims who are and/or where actually quite ok with things like Isis(make no mistake this was a big group unfortnutally), the way how Iran is once again murdering their own inhabitants for the sake of their reading of how the Islam should rule etc.
We are meant to believe the only ones to fear about are the ones that stab random people, blow themselves up in an football station and so futher an so forth.
And the left-wing media plays a very big role in retaining this situation. and in my opinion that is also helping regimes like Iran. A stronger voice for an much more progressive interpretation of islam, similar to the changes Christianity went to would be more helpfull.
But currently we only have the ''deny the problem until it dissappears'' (the left) Or Blame the whole group claims there all out to get us and need to be deported (the right)
Both are not really working.

And the regime in Iran and other intolerant regime's like the Taliban are the laughing third parties. They will have no problem recruiting western youngsters similar like Isis did.(haven't seen any indications that they are doing that at the moment but that is hardly the point)

So like they probably learned from their good friend Putin, that newspaper is gong to be raided declared ''enemy of the state'' and it's journalist arrested?

Cirrus

It is looking very grim, and it will only get worse as more people are put through the show trial grinder.

Would have thought that with feelings running as high as they are amongst the populace, issuing death sentences is only likely to add fuel to the fire?

C R

Would have thought that with feelings running as high as they are amongst the populace, issuing death sentences is only likely to add fuel to the fire?

The more the repression grows, the more the protests grow. No one knows how far it will go. The problem is that the longer it goes on the worse the instability gets, and the higher the chances of a disintegration of the state like happened in Libya, which the gulf arab countries would probably welcome :sad:.

spen666

Alternatively, authorities there may think, it will cause enough people to be scared and back off from the protests

• Sad
Top Bottom