How long have we got?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
To keep themselves free of fleas, they will carry a ball of sheeps' wool in their mouths when they swim in rivers, holding the ball out of the water. The fleas, to prevent themselves from drowning, will migrate towards the ball of wool. The fox releases the wool and the fleas float downstream.

Cast:
Cunning Fox: Shaun
Ball of wool: NACA
Fleas: You lot

At the same time we see folks on CC contorting themselves over trying to discuss the 'happenings' of the moment, without being able to ascribe any political causation to it..

As if all these situations, difficulties, and occurrences 'just arise' like fleas from 'out of nowhere'..

Living in denial of reality,, may be a bit more 'comfortable' in the short term.

But then we end up in a right old mess, endlessly repeating the same old mistakes.

mudsticks

Squire
It’s not so bad is it?
I’d welcome some additional views, but it’s far from the echo chamber it’s portrayed as. It is left leaning generally, but I have to say that I think it’s reasonable to ask for evidence of claims, unfortunately this is often described as hostile behaviour, as it was over the other side, which usually led to not only cleaning up the thread itself but also other other threads that people had started to moan about NACA.

Anyway, we’re ok, all are welcome,just don’t expect to not be challenged, and theres no favouritism with that.

It's the challenge that often gets folks backs up isn't it..

Not liking having to justify a position, being asked to 'show your workings out'..

Which in turn requires engagement of brain..and heart..

Easier just to repeat tired old nonsense about 'woke lefties' or somesuch.

Mr Celine

On another thread, I can't remember which one, @shep mentioned workplace wind-ups and banter and this one sprung to mind.

When premium rate phone lines were introduced in the late eighties I was working in a DHSS office. You could dial one of those phone lines then transfer the call to one of your colleagues. One of those lines responded to any input by shouting back the original question without answering it. A call would go something like this -

"Good afternoon, Supp Ben..."
"SUPP BEN, I DON'T WANT SUPP BEN I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER NOW!"
"Err, what's your name?"
"NAME, I DON'T WANT A NAME I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER NOW!"
"What's it about?"
"ABOUT, I DON'T WANT AN ABOUT I WANT TO SPEAK TO THE MANAGER NOW!"

By which point you were looking over the filing cabinets to see which of your mates was laughing.

Disclaimer: Any resemblance of that rant to the posts of any NACA members, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
To keep themselves free of fleas, they will carry a ball of sheeps' wool in their mouths when they swim in rivers, holding the ball out of the water. The fleas, to prevent themselves from drowning, will migrate towards the ball of wool. The fox releases the wool and the fleas float downstream.

Cast:
Cunning Fox: Shaun
Ball of wool: NACA
Fleas: You lot us lot

FTFY

Rusty Nails

Country Member
On another thread, I can't remember which one, @shep mentioned workplace wind-ups and banter and this one sprung to mind.

When premium rate phone lines were introduced in the late eighties I was working in a DHSS office. You could dial one of those phone lines then transfer the call to one of your colleagues. One of those lines responded to any input by shouting back the original question without answering it. A call would go something like this -

"Err, what's your name?"
"What's it about?"

By which point you were looking over the filing cabinets to see which of your mates was laughing.

Disclaimer: Any resemblance of that rant to the posts of any NACA members, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

I once went to a meeting where I had to stay in a hotel in Stratford on Avon for a couple of nights. When I signed in at reception the clerk told me they had received a fax message for me. It read something like " I am sorry that because of illness Mandy will not be available tonight. If you would be happy for us to supply a replacement under the same terms please contact us on ..........".

I did try to laugh it off as a joke from the office but I'm not sure she believed me. :blush:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I once went to a meeting where I had to stay in a hotel in Stratford on Avon for a couple of nights. When I signed in at reception the clerk told me they had received a fax message for me. It read something like " I am sorry that because of illness Mandy will not be available tonight. If you would be happy for us to supply a replacement under the same terms please contact us on ..........".

I did try to laugh it off as a joke from the office but I'm not sure she believed me. :blush:

Not sure I believe you myself ;)

AndyRM

Elder Goth

"Err, what's your name?"
"What's it about?"

Ah, the joys of working in a call centre.

Something everyone should have to do IMO, at some point, to learn how awful the general public can be at times, and not be that way themselves.

My personal favourite was a woman who gave me both barrels for a good 20 minutes. And I was like, "If you'd just give me a second, I could sort this for you, I just need a couple of details, that's it." By the end of her rant, I'd sorted her issue in about a minute.

Oh, I liked the guy who had been perfectly pleasant until "Yes, I'll do your survey, but could you transfer me to someone who sounds a bit less gay?"

D

Deleted member 49

Ah, the joys of working in a call centre.

Something everyone should have to do IMO, at some point, to learn how awful the general public can be at times, and not be that way themselves.

My personal favourite was a woman who gave me both barrels for a good 20 minutes. And I was like, "If you'd just give me a second, I could sort this for you, I just need a couple of details, that's it." By the end of her rant, I'd sorted her issue in about a minute.

Oh, I liked the guy who had been perfectly pleasant until "Yes, I'll do your survey, but could you transfer me to someone who sounds a bit less gay?"
One of the few jobs I've not had the pleasure of doing ! Although had some class jobs thinking back...didn't seem it at the time...
Remember working as a waiter on the QE2 and I'd been in trouble for something or other,punishment was i had the Captains table to serve for dinner.Wasnt a big deal as I liked that particular Captain...he was from Blackpool ! Anyway I was pissed off because I wanted to get done early and wasn't happening on Captains table,it's all guests who think there something.Sit and talk all night no matter how much cold food you serve them !
So along comes Mr and Mrs let's say Smith,dressed to the nines and 10 minutes before the end of fecking service...husband goes to sit down and I'm meant to seat his wife and pull the chair from under her.Shes on the floor with legs in the air and all I could think of saying was "welcome aboard madam"
Lost my shore leave for a month lol....

AndyRM

Elder Goth
One of the few jobs I've not had the pleasure of doing ! Although had some class jobs thinking back...didn't seem it at the time...
Remember working as a waiter on the QE2 and I'd been in trouble for something or other,punishment was i had the Captains table to serve for dinner.Wasnt a big deal as I liked that particular Captain...he was from Blackpool ! Anyway I was pissed off because I wanted to get done early and wasn't happening on Captains table,it's all guests who think there something.Sit and talk all night no matter how much cold food you serve them !
So along comes Mr and Mrs let's say Smith,dressed to the nines and 10 minutes before the end of fecking service...husband goes to sit down and I'm meant to seat his wife and pull the chair from under her.Shes on the floor with legs in the air and all I could think of saying was "welcome aboard madam"
Lost my shore leave for a month lol....

That's a belter. Well played.

Never managed that myself, despite having worked in numerous pubs and cafes over the years, but if I get a job in one again I'd be more than tempted with that.

Reminds me of this scene from Fight Club:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWVxI6XZAuE

D

Deleted member 49

That's a belter. Well played.

Never managed that myself, despite having worked in numerous pubs and cafes over the years, but if I get a job in one again I'd be more than tempted with that.

Reminds me of this scene from Fight Club:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWVxI6XZAuE

Feck we used to get up to all sort sorts....a lot that'd be wrong to tell on here.I might find some sort of a conscience and have some guilt....there again Nah.
Rich Americans were fair game 😁

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Feck we used to get up to all sort sorts....a lot that'd be wrong to tell on here.I might find some sort of a conscience and have some guilt....there again Nah.
Rich Americans were fair game 😁

I worked for a bank for 10 years. Designed a poster to look like a c*ck and balls for some presentation thing. Nobody noticed. I was pretty pleased with that one.

Top Bottom