How do you define art?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
I don't know about Clarkson, but Sewell was very entertaining. As for his appreciation of art, here's a section of his Wiki entry.........

Sewell suggested that art world insiders had felt embarrassed by a recent TV stunt in which he, a dealer and another critic had been shown a painting without being told that it had been painted by an elephant. Sewell described the painting as having no merit, while the other participants praised it.
Though his opinion wouldn't have varied for any non-representational work.

slowmotion

Though his opinion wouldn't have varied for any non-representational work.
Unfortunately, he's not around to argue his corner, but if you would like to find out more about his opinions (and be hugely amused in my case) could I recommend his series of interviews on "Web of Stories"? Here's a link......

https://www.webofstories.com/play/brian.sewell/1

slowmotion

Oh he was entertaining enough & I appreciate that. But I couldn't take him seriously as a critic.
Fair enough. We all have our own personal tastes. Personally, I think The Angel Of The North is entirely laughable but some people wet themselves over it. I don't mind.

D

Deleted member 49

Fair enough. We all have our own personal tastes. Personally, I think The Angel Of The North is entirely laughable but some people wet themselves over it. I don't mind.
But that's the whole point of Art isn't it ? It's personal...Sewell was far to opiniated.Didnt like any of the Saatchi crew Hirst,Emin etc...nor Hockney.He was pretty biased against anything conceptual.Couldnt stand him to be honest.As a critic I allways liked Matthew Collings,I like a lot of his work aswell.

slowmotion

But that's the whole point of Art isn't it ? It's personal...Sewell was far to opiniated.Didnt like any of the Saatchi crew Hirst,Emin etc...nor Hockney.He was pretty biased against anything conceptual.Couldnt stand him to be honest.As a critic I allways liked Matthew Collings,I like a lot of his work aswell.
I'm not sure. Art critics tell you what to look for and to appreciate......and ultimately give their judgement. I suppose that could be viewed as opinionated. It's their job to do that.

D

Deleted member 49

I'm not sure. Art critics tell you what to look for and to appreciate......and ultimately give their judgement. I suppose that could be viewed as opinionated. It's their job to do that.
Did he say things just for effect though ? I think it was just to make a name for himself.....
“There has never been a first-rank woman artist. Only men are capable of aesthetic greatness. Women make up 50% or more of classes at art school. Yet they fade away in their late 20s or 30s. Maybe it’s something to do with bearing children.”

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
Did he say things just for effect though ? I think it was just to make a name for himself.....
“There has never been a first-rank woman artist. Only men are capable of aesthetic greatness. Women make up 50% or more of classes at art school. Yet they fade away in their late 20s or 30s. Maybe it’s something to do with bearing children.”
Oof! Art critics do need to have opinions, but the good ones engage with their subjects before pronouncing (and may revise their opinions).

slowmotion

I'm not getting dragged into the swirling swamp of gender politics, but he did have a point there, didn't he?

D

Deleted member 49

I'm not getting dragged into the swirling swamp of gender politics, but he did have a point there, didn't he?
Ok we'll leave it but I'm sure you know why there were no "great" women Artists don't you 🙄

stowie

Just so I'm clear. You're comparing this:
View attachment 298
With this:
View attachment 299

Compared with this
Without a doubt !

Just for absolute clarity:

Comparing this

1638657129774.png

With this :

1638657168290.png