Gordon Brown 2. The Proper Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

i'm I'm not specualting on anything. Cookie raving looney stated the CURRENT government have done nothing to help its citizens in the current cost of living crisis, which is factually incorrect. They have and you know they have, i dont need to provide anything to back that up, unless you've been living under a rock, but i will list some examples below.

Band D and below council tax bands recieved the £150 , £400 energy relief as a credit on your account starting in october, low earners, people on tax or pension credits are recieving an extra £650, in two different payments to help with the burden of the cost of living. People on disabality paymments or PIP will recieve an extra £150 in october.

Welsh Government have also provided additional help to its citizens during the crisis too.

Yes i agree that is totally unacceptable and more should be done to help, but stating nothing has been done is FACTUALLY WRONG.

But cookie raving looney doesnt live in the UK, he lives in hong kong and pays income tax in hong kong and not the UK. So his fascination with what the UK government is doing is farcical. I believe he should concentrate on what the hong kong government is doing to help its citizens and will hopefully provide better english teachers than the ones currently on offer to the country.
I don't live in Wales, so what the Welsh government may have done/has done is irrelevant. They have no say in England.

I still await your "factually correct" history of the actions of the UK government over the two periods given. With particular interest to the last decade. Not just the last 10 months.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
I don't live in Wales, so what the Welsh government may have done/has done is irrelevant. They have no say in England.

I still await your "factually correct" history of the actions of the UK government over the two periods given. With particular interest to the last decade. Not just the last 10 months.

It was about the current government cookie was posting about, as stated in her post.

also i live in wales, so its very relevant to me……i couldnt give a fark were you live.

Well, certainly the French government have protected their citizens from huge price increases through EDF, which has imposed massive hikes in energy tariffs in the UK. So I suppose that whoever ok'd the sale of Centrica to EDF is quite responsible for those increases and selling off our national fuel security wouldn't you agree?

So the French, via EDF, have been better placed than the UK to protect their citizens from huge price increases.

Is gas a big part of the French electricity generation system?

Once a Wheeler

This is what's supposed to be the 5th richest nation on earth.
Be careful with this much-misused and much misunderstood assertion. It refers to a list of countries ranked by GDP — a statistic which has little relationship to personal prosperity. For example, China is ranked second in this list yet a primary school teacher in China is likely to earn less than £6,000 per annum — hardly something to aspire to as is impled by the politicians who trot this assertion out. A very much better indicator of personal prosperity is GDP per head of population. In this list the UK lies about thirtieth.

On many occasions I have heard this 'fifth richest nation' assertion trotted out by Brexiteers claiming that such a country will be far better off making its way in the world when independent of any international groupings. However, if one takes out the ten or so oddball economies in the top 30 of the GDP per head list (places such as Liechtenstein, the Cayman Islands, Qatar and Brunei) of the 20 or so left 10 are in the EU. The facts directly contradict the facile assertion.

In the case of Gordon Brown I think we have a mix of messages. I have heard him make the 'fifth richest nation' comment when it suits him to justify his influence as a former finance minister on the international stage. However his sincere concern at the plight of struggling individuals is an example to many and I think it can be safely assumed that he does know and realize that 30th in the GDP per head stakes is no great shakes for a West-European nation; and that bad management is what keeps the UK in that position, probably soon to fall even further down the list.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
Be careful with this much-misused and much misunderstood assertion. It refers to a list of countries ranked by GDP — a statistic which has little relationship to personal prosperity. For example, China is ranked second in this list yet a primary school teacher in China is likely to earn less than £6,000 per annum — hardly something to aspire to as is impled by the politicians who trot this assertion out. A very much better indicator of personal prosperity is GDP per head of population. In this list the UK lies about thirtieth.

On many occasions I have heard this 'fifth richest nation' assertion trotted out by Brexiteers claiming that such a country will be far better off making its way in the world when independent of any international groupings. However, if one takes out the ten or so oddball economies in the top 30 of the GDP per head list (places such as Liechtenstein, the Cayman Islands, Qatar and Brunei) of the 20 or so left 10 are in the EU. The facts directly contradict the facile assertion.

In the case of Gordon Brown I think we have a mix of messages. I have heard him make the 'fifth richest nation' comment when it suits him to justify his influence as a former finance minister on the international stage. However his sincere concern at the plight of struggling individuals is an example to many and I think it can be safely assumed that he does know and realize that 30th in the GDP per head stakes is no great shakes for a West-European nation; and that bad management is what keeps the UK in that position, probably soon to fall even further down the list.

I did also say that we may've fallen down that list. It seems so. ^_^

The Crofted Crest

I don't blame you, you'd make yourself look extremely foolish across a few threads, best to take some time off and hope people forget. Good for you 🙂

FFS, is this, or this, really necessary?

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Über Member
In light of yesterday's sad news and the current financial mess.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

:sad:

Top Bottom