Finally really good news...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
So you would celebrate if the court says ''whoopie'' you ignored injuctions, that is against the law, but we don't feel like enforcing it so there you go walk away bye bye? And if so are you aware of the precedent that would create? i mean why would an insulate now group be allowed but a ''we want to eat cake and block the m25 protest'' not? Or anything more extreme.
It's just not how law should work.

Mam says you've to come off the computer and tidy your room.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Civil disobedience has been used many times to achieve a change in law and a better society.
We need more of it.
Yes.
'Insulate or die' is not a banner I can empathise with, but if Insulate Britain could move to direct targets - such as housing associations and energy providers - I would support them.

icowden

Legendary Member
Yes.
'Insulate or die' is not a banner I can empathise with, but if Insulate Britain could move to direct targets - such as housing associations and energy providers - I would support them.
They have a direct target. They want an investment of 10 billion to insulate Britain.

They say:-

"An estimated spend of £10billion to improve the 'poor' housing in England could save the NHS £1.4billion p.a. and has been estimated to pay for itself in just over seven years and then accrue further benefits (CCC 2019)."​

So far, the Government has spent 4.3 million on policing the protests, 8.7 Billion on PPE that couldn't be used, 37 Billion on a useless Test and Trace system and written off 4.3 Billion in bogus Covid loans.

Suddenly that 10 billion doesn't look like a bad idea...

Maybe if the Government were to meet with them and agree to bring forward legislation to achieve their aims, start to offer more grants, legislate for new homes to be better insulated - then the protests would stop.

But no... lets waste millions sending people to prison for 2 weeks.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
They have a direct target. They want an investment of 10 billion to insulate Britain.

They say:-

So far, the Government has spent 4.3 million on policing the protests, 8.7 Billion on PPE that couldn't be used, 37 Billion on a useless Test and Trace system and written off 4.3 Billion in bogus Covid loans.

Suddenly that 10 billion doesn't look like a bad idea...

Maybe if the Government were to meet with them and agree to bring forward legislation to achieve their aims, start to offer more grants, legislate for new homes to be better insulated - then the protests would stop.

But no... lets waste millions sending people to prison for 2 weeks.
By direct I mean match the protest target to the objectives. They are not protesting about roads.

I agree grants would be good, but grants for green energy such as local solar power would be much better.

icowden

Legendary Member
By direct I mean match the protest target to the objectives. They are not protesting about roads.
Whilst that's true, I think most protests try to focus on disruption for publicity rather than matching their protest to their objectives. Sometimes there can be a synergy, but more often not.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Insulate Great Britain was never a slogan to get the UK public to buy into, it is a bit niche.

This is not to say it is not important, but I don't believe it outrages people, so protesters have to maximise awareness of their aims. They have gained notoriety/publicity, which is a fundamental part of their aim.

They were let off in the original court case, which again seems fair given their overall aims. It is clear however that they are now prepared to up the ante in order to push the law as far as they can in order to get more publicity, so they can really have had no surprise and no complaints about the short jail sentences, in fact it is possible that it is just the next stage of the price they are prepared to pay for their cause.

OP
OP
dutchguylivingintheuk

dutchguylivingintheuk

Über Member
Civil disobedience has been used many times to achieve a change in law and a better society.
We need more of it.
Sure but this is something else, it's not that they where not allowed to protest after weeks of disruption they wanted them to search a more suitable place. Party in Boris's garden for example.

I help to block the M25 at least once a fortnight. Lemon drizzle please.
Topic is about ignoring an injunction forbidding to block the in this example m25. Not a protest on itself.
10 Billion in a pointless money pit sounds like a lot to me. and no summing up other pointless money pits doesn't make it any better.
If you start brainlessly insulating every building you can depending on the area start mouldew treatments the next month.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
10 Billion in a pointless money pit sounds like a lot to me. and no summing up other pointless money pits doesn't make it any better.
If you start brainlessly insulating every building you can depending on the area start mouldew treatments the next month.
I'm no expert but I imagine you'd spend some of the 10bn on hiring some surveyors and architects and the like to make sure you did it properly.

In fact if you look at the IB website...

Assuming that you are, with your in depth knowledge on the subject of 'mouldew', a member of said industry, why don't you volunteer to help? You could really make a difference.

the snail

That's pretty daft, even by your standards. With gas prices set to soar, the payback on insulation will be much quicker. And insulation reduces condensation. Insulate Britain are right on the money imo.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Insulate Great Britain was never a slogan to get the UK public to buy into, it is a bit niche.

This is not to say it is not important, but I don't believe it outrages people,

This is an odd take right now, on the day Rishi Sunak announces he's gonna force people to borrow money for their heating bills, like some kind of creepy billionaire loan shark.

Still, at least we've got Labour's pledge to take utilities back into public ownership. Oh, wait... Oh well - we can all wrap ourselves in nice toasty flags. And when we find ourselves sleeping rough on a chilly night, Boris and his mates might come along and burn a wad of cash in our faces.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
This is an odd take right now, on the day Rishi Sunak announces he's gonna force people to borrow money for their heating bills, like some kind of creepy billionaire loan shark.

Still, at least we've got Labour's pledge to take utilities back into public ownership. Oh, wait... Oh well - we can all wrap ourselves in nice toasty flags. And when we find ourselves sleeping rough on a chilly night, Boris and his mates might come along and burn a wad of cash in our faces.
Nice rant, but really nothing to do with the point I was trying to make about the tactics of Insulate Britain and how going to jail might be a more extreme but necessary part of those tactics. No pain, no gain after all.

What is odd about this take, even on a day where, as you say, Sunak is promoting the con/PR trick of lending struggling people money that they will struggle even more to pay back? Btw, I also agree that the utilities should come back under public ownership, but I don't see how this makes my view odd.

Top Bottom