Fewer cars burned this New Year in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banderill

Didn't even know it was a "thing" but it seems to have become somewhat of a tradition:

1641074174019.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59847372

Fewer burned this year, presumably due to the pandemic.

Ian H

Guru
Back in the day they used to do that in the hills North of Swansea, though they'd nick the cars to joy-ride first. Black patches of melted tarmac were quite common (they had to be explained to me). We found one burnt-out car a little off-road, with the glass melted over the seat-springs, all the 'soft furnishings' gone. Dunno if it's still a thing.

slowmotion

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It's not 'everyday' vandalism - it was a sufficiently extreme/unusual example to make national news, and it occurred during a lockdown in a pandemic in one of the most deprived areas in the country, following the death of a local teenager.
'Everyday' as opposed to 'New Year' vandalism. It was at a peaceful balloon releasing vigil for a young man who had tragically died suddenly from drugs related causes, and not a protest, and the neighbours in the houses down the street were attacked and terrified. Even the young man's father called the vandals, many of whom reportedly came from outside Mayhill/Townhill, scumbags. So in reality a bit more than just everyday vandalism, even in a relatively deprived area.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It's not 'everyday' vandalism - it was a sufficiently extreme/unusual example to make national news, and it occurred during a lockdown in a pandemic in one of the most deprived areas in the country, following the death of a local teenager.

Is that "Country" as in Wales, or, should it read "in one of the most deprived areas in the UK" ?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
A bit of a crass way to describe deprived areas, whatever part of the UK. There are too many of them, whichever part of the UK they are in.

If you say so. I simply think the constant reference to "one of the most deprived areas" tag does little to help such areas improve, and, since I live in such an area, that bothers me. ;)

Pale Rider

Veteran
Burning cars on inner city estates reached a peak with the twocing epidemic in the 1980s.

The idea was to steal the car, race it around a bit, then dump it.

The fire was to destroy forensic evidence.

Immobilisers made cars much more difficult to 'hot wire', which in turn led to a reduction in twocing and consequent fires.

Top Bottom