Everyday sexism….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A confession. I made (unintentionally) a sexist remark for which I wish to apologise. I was trying to make a quip that backfired and was called- out on it - for which I admitted culpability and apologised.
But one can always learn….

I was in the walk-in freezer at work with a tall woman and a short (like me) chap. The tall woman was struggling to get a large heavy poly box from the top shelf. I then quipped:

‘Woukd you like a strong man to help you? If so, ask David! (part of the joke being neither of us could have reached very well being much shorter). The other fellow, David interupted and called-out my sexism - correctly I may add.

However we try, sometimes we can get caught-out….

More apart-height than sexist by the sound of it.

D

Deleted member 49

I make inappropriate remarks all the time....not to offend I'll add ! Depends on the situation I guess.
Partner was on about this the other day,the piss taking at work about her Oirish accent etc..this is by colleagues and she'd give as good as she gets ! Believe me 🙄 But it's almost impossible,try your best and if someone is offended apologize.

D

Deleted member 49

A confession. I made (unintentionally) a sexist remark for which I wish to apologise. I was trying to make a quip that backfired and was called- out on it - for which I admitted culpability and apologised.

I was in the walk-in freezer at work with a tall woman and a short (like me) chap. The tall woman was struggling to get a large heavy poly box from the top shelf. I then quipped:

‘Woukd you like a strong man to help you? If so, ask David! (part of the joke being neither of us could have reached very well being much shorter). The other fellow, David interupted and called-out my sexism - correctly I may add.

Tell short arse Dave to lighten up 🙄

AndyRM

Elder Goth
As said, everyone makes mistakes.

Apologise for the mistake, and learn from it.

It isn't rocket science.

My most recent one was using the term "hetty-spaghetti", which is a disparaging term for a heterosexual. A guy in the group didn't know what it meant, asked me, so I explained.

He said he thought it was offensive, I apologised but also pointed out that it's pretty light compared to the stuff coming the other way. Then we had a cool conversation about language, which was decent. Gives terrible head though ;)

D

Deleted member 28

And what a poor World it's becoming then, I just hope future generations will be grateful when their scared to have a laugh at work, well done.

D

Deleted member 28

As said, everyone makes mistakes.

Apologise for the mistake, and learn from it.

It isn't rocket science.

My most recent one was using the term "hetty-spaghetti", which is a disparaging term for a heterosexual. A guy in the group didn't know what it meant, asked me, so I explained.

He said he thought it was offensive, I apologised but also pointed out that it's pretty light compared to the stuff coming the other way. Then we had a cool conversation about language, which was decent. Gives terrible head though ;)
What type of jobs do you lot do?

"Put the kettle on you Ginger c***" is often used at work, "you useless bandy legged b*****d" is fired at me regularly, the one lad has a dodgy skin condition and also a stutter so he's known as 'Tony 2 times ' or 'flakes '.
Glad I don't live in your World, as you are mine no doubt.

AndyRM

Elder Goth

"Put the kettle on you Ginger c***" is often used at work, "you useless bandy legged b*****d" is fired at me regularly, the one lad has a dodgy skin condition and also a stutter so he's known as 'Tony 2 times ' or 'flakes '.

I worked last in an office, where if that sort of language was overheard you'd be pulled up on it. That didn't stop it happening though, it was just a bit subtle.

I wouldn't have a problem working in an environment like that, in fact I'd prefer it because swearing is just part of my natural vocabulary.

D

Deleted member 28

I worked last in an office, where if that sort of language was overheard you'd be pulled up on it. That didn't stop it happening though, it was just a bit subtle.

I wouldn't have a problem working in an environment like that, in fact I'd prefer it because swearing is just part of my natural vocabulary.
Not specifically aimed at yourself but folk in general on this forum, office or classroom or IT roles it seems?
I couldn't live my life having to watch what I say, being married is bad enough, but the example given above is mental!

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Not specifically aimed at yourself but folk in general on this forum, office or classroom or IT roles it seems?
I couldn't live my life having to watch what I say, being married is bad enough, but the example given above is mental!

Fair enough, it was just that you'd quoted me.

Some office environments are more uptight than others. The previous ones I'd worked in were much more relaxed which I thought was more honest. I was actually shocked the first time I went out with folk from the most recent one, like why pretend?!

mudsticks

Squire

I work a farm with other people a lot of the time

We use all sorts of expletives, about things going wrong, stuff breaking, tractors not starting, animals being uncooperative, or for referring to bad shoot (or people) 'out there'.

But we'd never use it to poke fun at peoples physical afflictions.

That just sounds like childish. bullying, to me.

Of course people will go along with it, and say they 'dont mind' so as to be seen as 'one of the lads'

But you just don't know how much it hurts on the inside.

Salty seadog

You sir are a proper gent.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Since the remark was a man taking the piss out of another man, (I am assuming both you and David are men, regardless of your sexuality?), then I struggle with "sexism", heightism, perhaps.........

Top Bottom