Enhanced Britishness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Regular
Give over, it's one of the most subjective posts on here, based on a load of false premises.
Then perhaps you could put us right by telling us what you actually did mean?

Have you read this case?

When you have, tell me where the violence occurred.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-58796000

He is now giving his evidence:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-raping-woman-too-drunk-to-consent-hears-jury

The defendant is another man with a hazy grasp on physiology. He seems to think that having 'withdrawn' pregnancy was not a possibility.

Putting to one side for a minute the poor woman's situation and being a detached observer of the courtroom process I think the jury may be out for some time unless witness demeanour and credibility leave it more open/shut.

Pale Rider

Veteran
The defendant is another man with a hazy grasp on physiology

Another incorrect assertion, and irrelevant to the case.

As so often happens, it will come down to she said/he said.

He appears to be claiming a consensual roll on the lounge carpet.

She, from the message the next morning, appears to have been unsure if sex took place.

Tough one for the jury, given they have to be 'satisfied so as you are sure' of guilt before returning a guilty verdict.

Another incorrect assertion, and irrelevant to the case.

I'm well aware that withdrawal has no relevance to guilt or not of rape. That was not my point though biology might have been a better word than physiology.

The Guardian report contains what looks like a direct quote:

The jury has heard how the complainant became pregnant, had a child and DNA analysis showed Lister was the father.
He told the jury: “I didn’t see how it could’ve been. My recollection of pulling out, for want of a better phrase, I didn’t see how it could be. It never crossed my mind that I could be the father.”

I'm taken aback that he thinks withdrawal eliminated the possibility of fertilisation. It's fifty years since a biology teacher explained to us that it was not an effective method of contraception and why it was not.

Tough one for the jury, given they have to be 'satisfied so as you are sure' of guilt before returning a guilty verdict.

That bit I do agree with.

Top Bottom