Discussion of Range Rover woman being charged .... as formerly seen on CC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
You don't have to be a genius to realise that Insulate Britain is long past its sell by date.

Seems about right.

Too many posters are focusing on what they want to happen, rather than what has happened.

Leave aside what Insulate Britain was protesting about and whether you agree with it.

As a protest, there's no doubt it got lots of publicity, which is good for any campaign.

However, there's also no doubt a lot of that publicity was negative and did the protesters no favours.

'Past it's sell by date' in the eyes of the public is a good way to put it.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Proper fur lined would be better - the protester would be repelled by it so no need for physical contact. Job jobbed and nobody hurt (apart from feelings).
Nobody hurt, except the original owner of the fur? ;)

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
You are largely full of sh*t
But it doesn't bother me one bit

Could this be the beginning of a Pale Rider Ode to TheClaud or something. A few iambic pentameters and the poet laureate's job is yours.

Time to fill my coffee cup
Now that I have stirred things up

Almost as good as fish puns.

Incidentally, why does everyone deny the woman was a hero rather than deny she was a heroine? Just wondering.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
So what? Was the LandRover lady supposed to become a Buddhist monk and return to the wheel of her "Lethal Weapon" in orange robes before getting pissed off with a few twats blocking the road?

I love how some exaggerated scenario is offered as the only option when more sensible and obvious choices are ignored when this sort of confrontation occurs.

The driver was delayed in completing her journey by a particular route. Other routes were available to her, which she ignored in favour of violence and dangerous use of 2.5 tonnes of SUV against someone who was no threat to her.

It's right that she be answerable for her actions in a court.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Incidentally, why does everyone deny the woman was a hero rather than deny she was a heroine? Just wondering.
Because there's no specific reason to use a gendered word in these circumstances.

icowden

Legendary Member

I think that "Hero" is now seen as a universal non-gendered word, and somehow some people think the word "heroine" is somehow diminished in comparison.

I find the same odd rule applies to Actor and Actress, although I think the use of a feminine "-ess" ending to words is seen as somehow secondary or diminished, rather than just being nicked from the french. Hence we seem to prefer "female shepherd" to "shepherdess" etc, although it doesn't seem to apply to Prince or Seamstress in the same way.

I think that "Hero" is now seen as a universal non-gendered word, and somehow some people think the word "heroine" is somehow diminished in comparison.

I find the same odd rule applies to Actor and Actress, although I think the use of a feminine "-ess" ending to words is seen as somehow secondary or diminished, rather than just being nicked from the french. Hence we seem to prefer "female shepherd" to "shepherdess" etc, although it doesn't seem to apply to Prince or Seamstress in the same way.

As regards thespians there's a deliberate move away from the gendered actress to actor.

Others like Aviatrix or Executrix (the plural being Executrices) fell into disuse longer ago.

Top Bottom