Cruella Braverman...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
I was simply asking if Asylum seekers got to choose where they were re-located to, rather than being directed to a particular area. I understand perfectly well why an Asylum Seeker (or, almost anyone for that matter) would wish to re-locate in an area where they had friends/relations etc.
Sorry - misunderstood the question :-)

I don't think they get a choice as to where they are initially "housed". However, if the claim is successful they can then choose where they like. At that stage without much money etc they are likely to stay local.

Reactions: C R

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I was simply asking if Asylum seekers got to choose where they were re-located to, rather than being directed to a particular area. I understand perfectly well why an Asylum Seeker (or, almost anyone for that matter) would wish to re-locate in an area where they had friends/relations etc.

I don't think you answered my question, but, such is life.

To me your question implied there was a simple binary choice. Not claiming any knowledge of this whatsoever I would have assumed that, after some sort of initial assessment period, there would be a system in place that considers both the availability/cost of places and the best interests of the asylum seekers.
But we are talking about the Tory party here so logic and care might not be a strong factor in the process and it's probably best to assume nothing.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Sorry - misunderstood the question :-)

I don't think they get a choice as to where they are initially "housed". However, if the claim is successful they can then choose where they like. At that stage without much money etc they are likely to stay local.

OK, thank you. So, inevitably, to me, this would imply a concentration in areas where initial "holding centres" are, rather than a (to me) more logical approach of relocation where potential suitable jobs (and housing) are.

BoldonLad

To me your question implied there was a simple binary choice. Not claiming any knowledge of this whatsoever I would have assumed that, after some sort of initial assessment period, there would be a system in place that considers both the availability/cost of places and the best interests of the asylum seekers.
But we are talking about the Tory party here so logic and care might not be a strong factor in the process and it's probably best to assume nothing.

oops, hadn't seen your post, before replying to icowden, but, yes, that (bolded) is what I would have thought.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
There's no initial choice as far as I am aware. Asylum seekers who are released from detention are allocated accommodation based on where there are providers who can accommodate them. Inevitably this means a higher concentration in less well off areas where companies can buy up cheap(er) houses and flats. It's obviously cheaper to house someone in the North or Midlands than in London or Cornwall. Middlesbrough always had the highest number of asylum seekers in supported accommodation in recent years, if I recall, and Labour councils housed more than Conservative councils.

The same doesn't seem to apply to unaccompanied children who cross the channel. Kent Council Social Services seem to be responsible for accommodating them all, which seems unfair.

D

Deleted member 28

And there we have it, how many of you people crying out for asylum seekers, or immigrants in general, actually live in an area that has that many?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
And there we have it, how many of you people crying out for asylum seekers, or immigrants in general, actually live in an area that has that many?

What 650 in the whole of wolverhampton………i mean thats soooo many, how do you sleep at night. FFS

Just for context theres 1450 in Birmingham and a population of 1.1m

and asylum seekers and refugees make up 0.5% of the population of Wales

Wolverhampton is not even in the top 10 cities in the UK with the highest asylum seekers per population.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

What 650 in the whole of wolverhampton………i mean thats soooo many, how do you sleep at night. FFS

Wolverhampton is not even in the top 10 cities in the UK with the highest asylum seekers per population.

WTF do you know about the immigrants in Wolverhampton?

You're a typical Internet warrior that hasn't a clue, have a look at ethnicity in Whitmore Reans for example.

jowwy

WTF do you know about the immigrants in Wolverhampton?

You're a typical Internet warrior that hasn't a clue, have a look at ethnicity in Whitmore Reans for example.

More than you by the looks……..what has ethnicity got to do with them being immigrants???? Are you saying every ethnic minority in whitmore reans is an immigrant?..

you racist prick

BoldonLad

In this thread, these two terms have been used rather randomly (IMHO).

Above, I quoted a figure of 0.29% for Asylum Seekers in my "home" area, however, the Census quoted figure for immigrants (ie, not born in UK) is 5%, quite a difference.

As a point of order, "not born in UK" is, perhaps, not a good definition of "immigrant" (IMHO), on that basis, one of my grandchildren is an Immigrant, since he was born in USA.

D

Deleted member 28

I'll make this simple for you, what percentage of the population where you live are white and Welsh?

Same goes for eatfoodie in Devon.

Compare that to where I live and you'll understand my frustration with c*nts like you bleating on about how we should let anyone into the country blah, blah, blah when you f*ckers don't have them living by you.

jowwy

I'll make this simple for you, what percentage of the population where you live are white and Welsh?

Same goes for eatfoodie in Devon.

Compare that to where I live and you'll understand my frustration with c*nts like you bleating on about how we should let anyone into the country blah, blah, blah when you f*ckers don't have them living by you.

I have a mosque not far from were i live, i got no issues with them being here. Maybe its because im not racist.

Top Bottom