Cost of foreign holidays to fall?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

All flights add to the CO2 and moisture vapour in the upper atmosphere which adds to the build up of greenhouse gases.

Greenhouse gases prevent the reflected energy waves from the sun [which bounce back from the Earth's surface] from escaping [like a greenhouse traps the heat from the sun.

The build up of heat causes snow on mountain tops, the glaciers and the ice caps to melt which flow into the sea and the seawater to expand as it warms up which causes sea levels to rise leading to ongoing problems with coastal flooding and more extreme] weather events across the globe.

Any flights which are cancelled help to prevent the 'seeding' of the upper atmosphere with green house gases. The UK acts as a hub for flights connecting all over the world and any reduction in the number of flights is a good thing.

OP
OP
BoldonLad

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
All flights add to the CO2 and moisture vapour in the upper atmosphere which adds to the build up of greenhouse gases.

Greenhouse gases prevent the reflected energy waves from the sun [which bounce back from the Earth's surface] from escaping [like a greenhouse traps the heat from the sun.

The build up of heat causes snow on mountain tops, the glaciers and the ice caps to melt which flow into the sea and the seawater to expand as it warms up which causes sea levels to rise leading to ongoing problems with coastal flooding and more extreme] weather events across the globe.

Any flights which are cancelled help to prevent the 'seeding' of the upper atmosphere with green house gases. The UK acts as a hub for flights connecting all over the world and any reduction in the number of flights is a good thing.

I assume that is a reply to my request for an explanation?

The general explanation, OK, I knew that.

The bit in bold is self evident, I would have thought.

The bit I did not understand is, why does UK being a small island, and a hub for flights, make it more relevant to the 5% of green house gases resulting from air traffic, than any other flight hub in the world?

In my simple mind, in order to effect a quick reduction of any given (or indeed all) greenhouse gases, the approach would be to tackle the biggest source of each greenhouse gas, so, for example, a quick search suggests (I am not saying it is correct, it is an example), that electric generation is responsible for 37% of CO2 production, so, if a 1% reduction in that area could be achieved it would be would be almost half as effective of completely elimination air travel (impractical, I would think). Similar results could be achieved by targeting the major source os the other "greenhouse pollutants", but, by targeting the appropriate source.

We used to call it Pareto's Law, haven't heard it mentioned for years, maybe it has been discredited?

the snail

The bit I did not understand is, why does UK being a small island, and a hub for flights, make it more relevant to the 5% of green house gases resulting from air traffic, than any other flight hub in the world?

According to this source
https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-aviation
Aviation accounts for a lot less than 5%, so I think you have a point there - it's a significant amount, but probably not the most important by far. I think agriculture, manufacturing, power generation, road transport are probably where the big cuts need to be made.

Archie_tect

The whole point is that every sector can reduce its carbon footprint and eliminate greenhouse gas emissions to pre-industrial levels by innovation and application globally. Every country contributes. The UK emits 5.55 tonnes of CO2 per year per capita which is perhaps the fairest way of presenting the data [https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-per-capita/]. As a small island with a large population the effect the UK has is magnified.

As we've discussed many times elsewhere the primary driver is to harness solar power to produce electricity worldwide without it being 'owned' by any individual or group so that it effectively becomes free energy. That unlimited solar electricity will power the world's transport, manufacturing, agriculture, heating and power and light for every sector. Until we achieve zero emissions electricity generation there will be pollution fall-out and it's up to each and every one of us to come to terms with that and deal with it... "I'm all right Jack" won't cut it anymore.

Out of the 700+ countries in the world we emit 1% of the global emissions... we can start today by reducing the numbers, eliminating the unnecessary and cutting out waste. We have offset the UK's manufacturing emissions onto China by expecting China to produce what we consume. We have no reason to be smug about anything.

The planet has to be able to recover and rebalance itself which it will if we stop emissions' pollution tipping the balance. The next big threat to the world will be water management to prevent water wars!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 49

According to this source
https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-aviation
Aviation accounts for a lot less than 5%, so I think you have a point there - it's a significant amount, but probably not the most important by far. I think agriculture, manufacturing, power generation, road transport are probably where the big cuts need to be made.
Cruise ships emit up to four times more CO2 per passenger than flying.

MrGrumpy

Regular
I agree cruise ships aren't enjoyment 🙄
Speak for yourself , I like them or did pre pandemic . However I’m aware they are not very green !

Top Bottom