Continuation of Covid Vaccine post from the main site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I would agree that the more compliant nature of the population in countries like Singapore has been hugely helpful in controlling covid there. This compliance may well be due to a more authoritarian regime and the possible consequences, but they have also had previous experience with the Sars virus so, unlike us, I would imagine the public were already geared up for stuff like wearing masks and far more aware of the possible outcome in terms of fatalities if steps weren't taken.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I'm looking at this from an non-UK viewpoint, as I live here in Asia.

I also know no-one that's died from Covid but that's due to the HK Gov's hardcore Covid policies which has meant that, out of a city of 8 million people and some of the most densely populated areas on earth, HK has seen 213 deaths and not one Covid death this year. We also have one of the lowest % mortality rates on the planet, mandatory mask wearing has helped.

That doesn't mean I'll treat Covid lightly though. I have to take Covid seriously as Mr Cookiemonster has HIV. If he catches this, he's toast.

We have an app, Leave Home Safe, which is a legal requirement if you want to use a bar/restaurant/gym/cinema etc. No debete here. You use it or you don't get in. This app also alerts you if you've been in an area where Covid has been detected. I don't see the problem with that.

Any restrictions on entry? Ie vaccination status, quarantine, testing regime?

PK99

Regular
You know the UK government wants to lock people up for ten years for pissing on a statue, right?

That I'd just the sort of Political off topic comment derailing a thread that farked up the main forum. I'm not in ant way surprises that it is you making it.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Only authoritarian regimes have managed to control Covid.

We have major kickbacks against the minor restrictions we have tried.

As I remember South Korea adopted the blueprint for pandemic response that the UK stuck in the bottom of a filing cabinet, and did ok with it for a few months. New Zealand was also quite successful initially.

Westminster has few qualms being authoritarian against minority protests, especially where it has media backup. When the media are biased we have a problem. As individuals and communities and workplaces we have had a lot of complex needs to balance. We need more complex media.

(Note to self - must buy Private Eye)

Last edited:
Stand News.

Stand News has been pushing its luck with the stories its been publishing, all getting more and more outlandish. Recent ones regarding people being snatched off the street and sexually assaulted by police was the last straw. Btw, the laws used here were colonial era laws left over by the British, not Beijing.

Anyway, stepping away from the thread derailing.

Last edited:
As I remember South Korea adopted the blueprint for pandemic response that the UK stuck in the bottom of a filing cabinet, and did ok with it for a few months. New Zealand was also quite successful initially.

Westminster has few qualms being authoritarian against minority protests, especially where it has media backup. When the media are biased we have a problem. As individuals and communities and workplaces we have had a lot of complex needs to balance. We need more complex media.

(Note to self - must buy Private Eye)
In fact, many doctors and scientists here in East Asia were screaming warnings from the rooftops from the end of Jan 2020 about this virus. As mentioned, they all gave a blueprint as to what to do, going by the knowledge of the virus at that time. This was ignored.

On the old site, I posted about this and passed on the blueprint. Stock up on items, hand sanitiser, masks etc etc. This was early Feb 2020.

The way the medical community here were ignored still ranckles with them to this day. Only the Italians have come close to an apology for not paying attention.

Top Bottom