Continuation of Covid Vaccine post from the main site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

This is one of my main issues with those who seek to minimise the effects of covid. It's not all about the death rate. It's about those who have been unable to get treatment and social care etc because staff are dealing with covid sufferers or because staff are ill with covid themselves.
A team of Consultant Anaesthetists I was working with at a major NW Hospital* told me the biggest impact was in cancer cases. GPs aren't picking them up and the patient isn't being diagnosed for many more weeks than would previously have been the case. When they eventually get a date for treatment, the likelihood of surgical success is considerably reduced taking the service outcomes back to the early 1930s.

I don't know much about mental or medical services so can't comment on those issues.

* Not Christies or Clatterbridge.

I'm looking at this from an non-UK viewpoint, as I live here in Asia.

I also know no-one that's died from Covid but that's due to the HK Gov's hardcore Covid policies which has meant that, out of a city of 8 million people and some of the most densely populated areas on earth, HK has seen 213 deaths and not one Covid death this year. We also have one of the lowest % mortality rates on the planet, mandatory mask wearing has helped.

That doesn't mean I'll treat Covid lightly though. I have to take Covid seriously as Mr Cookiemonster has HIV. If he catches this, he's toast.

We have an app, Leave Home Safe, which is a legal requirement if you want to use a bar/restaurant/gym/cinema etc. No debete here. You use it or you don't get in. This app also alerts you if you've been in an area where Covid has been detected. I don't see the problem with that.

Edit: the phone messaging is part of the governments way of communicating en-mass to the public, the states have had this in place much longer than U.K. , it's been tested a few times over the past year it's nothing new and nothing sinister, they don't have your number it's a message broadcast from the local tower:

View attachment 452

https://www.gov.uk/alerts
Such a system does exist but it’s not the mechanism used for the recent broadcast. That was good old fashioned mass SMS via the usual systems.

Reactions: mjr

PK99

Regular
I'm looking at this from an non-UK viewpoint, as I live here in Asia.

I also know no-one that's died from Covid but that's due to the HK Gov's hardcore Covid policies which has meant that, out of a city of 8 million people and some of the most densely populated areas on earth, HK has seen 213 deaths and not one Covid death this year. We also have one of the lowest % mortality rates on the planet, mandatory mask wearing has helped.

That doesn't mean I'll treat Covid lightly though. I have to take Covid seriously as Mr Cookiemonster has HIV. If he catches this, he's toast.

We have an app, Leave Home Safe, which is a legal requirement if you want to use a bar/restaurant/gym/cinema etc. No debete here. You use it or you don't get in. This app also alerts you if you've been in an area where Covid has been detected. I don't see the problem with that.

Only authoritarian regimes have managed to control Covid.

We have major kickbacks against the minor restrictions we have tried.

PaulB

Only authoritarian regimes have managed to control Covid.

We have major kickbacks against the minor restrictions we have tried.
You'd have to make it compulsory to make anything work, especially now people have seen the so-called 'government' party comply with their own regulations. Make it advisory, people will deliberately not comply or not comply or over-comply because of confusion. It has to be simple (wear a mask, have proof of your vax status) and properly enforced. Do not give any authority to volunteers with hi-viz tabards!

You'd have to make it compulsory to make anything work, especially now people have seen the so-called 'government' party comply with their own regulations. Make it advisory, people will deliberately not comply or not comply or over-comply because of confusion. It has to be simple (wear a mask, have proof of your vax status) and properly enforced. Do not give any authority to volunteers with hi-viz tabards!

Here in HK it is that simple.

Wear a mask, get vaxxed and use the app. Nothing wrong, complicated or authoritarian about that. It works and and has saved lives.

PK99

Regular

Wear a mask, get vaxxed and use the app. Nothing wrong, complicated or authoritarian about that. It works and and has saved lives.

And if you break the rules, the consequences are?

PaulB

That could only apply if you had a compliant public. We don't have such a thing here. Yet.

PK99

Regular
Perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. I did say that HK has some of the most densely populated areas on earth. If Covid ever gets a hold here, it’ll be devastating and I mentioned Mr Cookiemonster and why.

I don't dispute that it is reasonable and necessary, but is only possible in an authoritarian society where democratic niceties don't apply...

Top Bottom