Climate Crisis: Are we doing enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Just Stop Oil added two and a half hours to my journey time from South London to the Midlands this morning. I continue to support their aims and admire their courage.

On Wednesday I will drive my diesel car about a mile in the morning, less than half a mile at lunchtime and then about a mile back home in the evening. I still believe that's a thing that people shouldn't be doing.

Ain't context a bitch?

D

Deleted member 28

The focus on cyclists is a cynical tactic to take the heat off those lethal e-scooters.

Where's Mikey when you need him?

stowie

The focus on cyclists is a cynical tactic to take the heat off those lethal e-scooters.

It is amazing the efforts taken to demonise basic modes of transport which will help the situation.

I even had someone argue online with me that cycling wasn't climate friendly since cyclists breath out CO2. When I pointed out that this happens with everyone if they want to continue living I got blocked.

mudsticks

Squire
Interesting comment from Monbiot on Twitter -
*The Pollution Paradox: “The more damaging the commercial enterprise, the more money it must spend on politics to ensure it’s not regulated out of existence. As a result, politics comes to be dominated by the most harmful commercial enterprises.”

Part of this thread -
View: https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1590279983637069824

Well yes big oil, big ag, big food, C0ca c0la 🙄etc has far more lobbying power and spare dosh floating around to fund that.

Purely because of their extractive exploitative model

The people trying to 'do the more sustainable thing' and not exploit, not extract beyond just and sustainable limits, just don't have the same bought and paid for lobbying power.

This is why social justice is inextricably linked with climate justice.
And why currently all the 'wrong' people are making decisions on climate action.

If extractive exploitative capitalism is allowed to have the last word on humanitarian and ecological decisions, we will continue on the same collision course with disaster.

https://linktr.ee/fossilfueltreaty

Well yes big oil, big ag, big food, C0ca c0la 🙄etc has far more lobbying power and spare dosh floating around to fund that.

Purely because of their extractive exploitative model
Nope, purely due to systems that awards career politicians, politicians who do good on social media, social justice etc. but are so entitled they have never seen public transport for the life of it. Politicians who care so much about their voters that they are not ashamed to bent over(figure of speech) to take cash from oil/food processing etc. industries.

That why the system that's called the EU is so terrible, it promotes career politicians and lobbies instead of the poeple's voice.

The people trying to 'do the more sustainable thing' and not exploit, not extract beyond just and sustainable limits, just don't have the same bought and paid for lobbying power.
i don't see much poeple starting the homegrown things (growing you known vegetables on like 1 by 1 meter plots they have a fancy name for it but i forgot. Fact is we are made dependent, the convenience of just getting an ready made meal/prepared vegetables etc. made us no longer willing to do the extra steps and home grow everything. Helped by the fact that in most big city's to have an reasonable not even nice house/appartement/flat poeple have to have two full time jobs in order to afford that especially now, then you probably don't have the energy to go gardening.
This is why social justice is inextricably linked with climate justice.
And why currently all the 'wrong' people are making decisions on climate action.
agreed that currently the wrong people are making the decisions, i don't agree that those activist really known better. i'm not that impressed with the arguments of Extinsion rebellion or Just stop oil. Because they al concentrate on numbers that are bullshit like Co2 (just to clarify, no co2 isn't bullshit but those number things are, we need to have a proper balance, if you have that the only danger for our environment is the fact that we have to many people)

If extractive exploitative capitalism is allowed to have the last word on humanitarian and ecological decisions, we will continue on the same collision course with disaster.

https://linktr.ee/fossilfueltreaty
Yeah, we need more lies, like claiming the rich nations need to fund the poor nations because it's all our fault.. India became one of the most pollution nations because the west forced them to try and compete with China and not care about the environment in the process same with all that poor countries that are only poor because how their countries are ruled, now we just need to play santa and that same governments that failed to do the right thing in the past periods are not gonna solve everything
I hope nobody believes this shoot themselves. I mean it would be great if it it where true, but like many things in reality it's far more complex.
It isn't really gonna stop the wide spread corruption with oil amongst other things in the Niger delta.. somehow the Aerosmith song ''Dream on'' keeps on playing in my head...
I known it's almost christmass but it was Cop27 not Santa's big party.. politicians...

Top Bottom