Cannabis as a Class A drug?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Speaking only from personal experience; my best friend started smoking weed at 15, recreationally. In the 90's it was resin, cut with different stuff, didn't really get you off your face (yes I tried it but usually vomitted afterwards). My mate continued smoking recreationally until he got a job in his 20's. The last 10-13 years or so, he started dealing. And it was all skunk. By this time he's been smoking a couple joints a day during work, and then 3 or 4 in the evening, and I don't know how much all weekeend. I took one puff of skunk and it knocked my sideways.

Had it been leaglised then, I suspect it would be weaker and only a certain amount available. From my mate's point of view, he would have got all he could legally and then wanted more, which would have been gained illegally. Remember that long term users have a much greater tolerance, so issuing some form of legal (weaker) substance would not satisgy a lot of people.

But it's legal now (let's pretend) so you'd have people buying the legal stuff and hoarding it up. A black market would still exist, and a second black market would also exist for skunk. I don't think anyone wants to legalise it becasue with legalisation comes social acceptance....which isn't far from encouragement. You know what British youths/adults are like, you only have to look at alcohol use to see that it is abused on a daily basis by millions. Legalising it (IMHO) would not solve anything, and would only reduce current and future users from "100% illegal use" to "40% legal and 60% illegal" use, because they'd always want more/better/stronger stuff than would be available from certified outlets.

And on the subject of the effects of cannabis, again recreational/occasional use is pretty much harm-free apart from the tobacco it's often mixed with. But my mate by his own admission has destroyed his life. He became a paranoid, self-depricating, depressed hermit in his last 20 years living down here in Devon. He moved up to Yorkshire to be with his terminally ill mum, and quit weed. But the damage was done, he became so bad that not being stoned was too unpleasant for him, so he's now an alcoholic

And this is why alcohol must be made illegal. Ohh wait a black market will pop up. Cancel that.

Speaking only from personal experience; my best friend started smoking weed at 15, recreationally. In the 90's it was resin, cut with different stuff, didn't really get you off your face (yes I tried it but usually vomitted afterwards). My mate continued smoking recreationally until he got a job in his 20's. The last 10-13 years or so, he started dealing. And it was all skunk. By this time he's been smoking a couple joints a day during work, and then 3 or 4 in the evening, and I don't know how much all weekeend. I took one puff of skunk and it knocked my sideways.
It's an drug that can cause addiction just like alcohol smoking and cocodamol still doesn't justify why said substances are freely available and weed isn't.
So above example is someone who as it sounds like has a addiction problem.

Had it been leaglised then, I suspect it would be weaker and only a certain amount available. From my mate's point of view, he would have got all he could legally and then wanted more, which would have been gained illegally. Remember that long term users have a much greater tolerance, so issuing some form of legal (weaker) substance would not satisgy a lot of people.
Weaker is certainly true, most dutch drugs are not nearly as strong as here and they is from the smell alone(as i have never used drugs) However your assumption that legalised drugs would lead to more illegal's drugs isn't shown in facts, in the Netherlands*, and many other countries where they have legalised drugs they don't see an significant uptick in the amount of addictions.
In Portugal they changed their approach and only make the dealing illigal and don't procecute users but offer them help instead. they claim it is effective.
But it's legal now (let's pretend) so you'd have people buying the legal stuff and hoarding it up. A black market would still exist, and a second black market would also exist for skunk. I don't think anyone wants to legalise it becasue with legalisation comes social acceptance....which isn't far from encouragement. You know what British youths/adults are like, you only have to look at alcohol use to see that it is abused on a daily basis by millions. Legalising it (IMHO) would not solve anything, and would only reduce current and future users from "100% illegal use" to "40% legal and 60% illegal" use, because they'd always want more/better/stronger stuff than would be available from certified outlets.
Well it would free up Police resource who can concentrate on those claimed drug dens instead, apart from the fact that somone who hoards for personal use still poses the same risk as now, but if said person wants to change his behavior recognises/admits he has an addiction, a barrier has been taken away because he no longer breaks the law. (where i wrote he it should say he/she/them/they etc.)

And on the subject of the effects of cannabis, again recreational/occasional use is pretty much harm-free apart from the tobacco it's often mixed with. But my mate by his own admission has destroyed his life. He became a paranoid, self-depricating, depressed hermit in his last 20 years living down here in Devon. He moved up to Yorkshire to be with his terminally ill mum, and quit weed. But the damage was done, he became so bad that not being stoned was too unpleasant for him, so he's now an alcoholic
Unfortnutally that's indeed the story of most addictions, and legalised or not poeple and or goverments should keep on making clear that it is an drug that can cause addiction just like alcohol or any other drugs. and yes long term over usage causes damage. just like alcohol and many other addictive substances that are legaliy available now do.

However your assumption that legalised drugs would lead to more illegal's drugs isn't shown in facts

I didn't say it would lead to more illegal drugs, I said it wouldn't stamp out the illegal trade alltogether, but yes it might reduce it. I think also with weed, it's not so much factories/gangs who deal. Like my mate, lots of people deal in weed if they've got the extra cash to buy in bulk, and they just use the profits for their own (smoking) use. I even know a hairdresser in town who is a dealer, albeit on a small scale, so in a lot of cases if you were only prosecuting dealers, you'd also be prosecuting users as well so wouldn't gain much. Also when one small-time dealer is busted, another would just take their place.

Milzy

Well young kids in America get thrown in the can for 4 years over a bit of weed. That will destroy their whole life. Plus the taxpayers money is wasted keeping them there. Doesn’t make any sense.

Top Bottom