Bye Bye Democracy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Regulations that applied to one particular group and not to others, so yes equating national ID cards for everyone to the yellow stars worn by Jews to make them stand out from other Germans is a crass and insensitive comparison. Do you imagine the Over 60's bus pass is also some sort of precursor to an impending age defined genocide? Of course not.

It's a thoughtless and trite comparison and saying 'It's not the Holocaust, but this is how the Holocaust began...' doesn't make it any better.

That is a relief! ;)

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Don’t know who you are?

So:

no professional registration
No bank account
No credit card
No debit card
No passport
No driving licence

Can I use an HCPC registration as voter ID?

slowmotion

Has anybody got any evidence that the proposed legislation has any intention of suppressing certain groups of voters, or has a cloud of daft conspiracy theories just drifted over from the other side ofthe Atlantic?
Anyway, here's some stuff about age groups and voting.....

https://www.britishelectionstudy.co...ur-at-the-2019-general-election/#.Y2v6d-TP1Pa

Some might draw the conclusion that youthful voters are already being brutally suppressed. Others might think that they simply can't be arsed to vote because they have more exciting things to do with their lives.

winjim

No idea, but, to suggest that "they" (who ever "they" are) don't know who you are is absurd.

Yeah I know, it's almost like I was trying to make some different point.

If 'they' know who I am then why in the name of holy fark would I need an ID in order to vote?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Yeah I know, it's almost like I was trying to make some different point.

If 'they' know who I am then why in the name of holy fark would I need an ID in order to vote?
Currently, if someone wanted to, they could get your name and postcode and vote earlier than you, then when you rock up you won't be able to.

With robust photo ID they couldn't.

winjim

Currently, if someone wanted to, they could get your name and postcode and vote earlier than you, then when you rock up you won't be able to.

And HCPC registration has what to do with it?

BoldonLad

Could that mean that we are woefully inadequate at detecting and proving electoral fraud?

Could that mean that we are woefully inadequate at detecting and proving electoral fraud?

Come on then, let's have an unscientific poll of our own. Hands up anyone that has ever gone to a polling station and discovered that someone has already voted for you, a family member, or someone you know personally.

BoldonLad

Come on then, let's have an unscientific poll of our own. Hands up anyone that has ever gone to a polling station and discovered that someone has already voted for you, a family member, or someone you know personally.

Cannot speak for Craig, but....I don't know anyone who fits that profile, but, then again, I don't know anyone who has been murdered, mugged, raped, victim of a scam, or who has had a relative or close friend suffer any of those things, does that prove that those crimes doesn't happen?

I haven't been to a Polling Station in years, I use a Postal Ballot.

I don't know anyone who has been murdered, mugged, raped, victim of a scam, or who has had a relative or close friend suffer any of those things, does that prove that those crimes doesn't happen?
Of course not, it's not how surveys about unusual happenings work.

I haven't been to a Polling Station in years, I use a Postal Ballot.
A voter ID card will not prevent or deter postal ballot fraud.

BoldonLad

Of course not, it's not how surveys about unusual happenings work.

A voter ID card will not prevent or deter postal ballot fraud.

Did I say it would?

As far as I am concerned, I am taking about a photo-Id, which could be used to replace the tedious requests for Id which occur now, in numerous situations. If that had the added advantage of verifying Id for voting purposes, great, an added bonus.

I would add that I have no faith that our Civil Service, or, Government (any party) are anywhere near competent to devise such a system.

lazybloke

Regular

Pretty sure you are allowed to vote - although you will have to prove your identity, and your ballot is paper kept OUT of the main ballot box.
Exactly what happens at the verification and count, I couldn't tell you.

Top Bottom