Bye Bye Democracy.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
You have introduced the word 'mandatory' which I have been careful not to use in saying that they are in use in some areas of the UK.

But anyway, Gibraltar have had ID cards for years....

View attachment 2502 they are moving to e-versions.

That's funny because I have been using the word 'mandatory' in my conversation with you.

So you're talking a load of disingenuous bollocks as usual.

You have introduced the word 'mandatory' which I have been careful not to use in saying that they are in use in some areas of the UK.

But anyway, Gibraltar have had ID cards for years....

View attachment 2502 they are moving to e-versions.

Gibraltar is not part of the UK but rather a British Overseas Territory.

theclaud

Über Member
Total mystery why they want to stop young people voting.

20221119_191637.jpg

Rusty Nails

Upright Member
Total mystery why they want to stop young people voting.

View attachment 2511

There's no disputing this point, but if younger people vote in the same numbers as the older ones, it may help negate the effects of the proposed changes. Something just over 50% of people under 35 voted in recent elections compared to around 80% of 65+.
Even in the Brexit referendum, with its relatively high turnout, around 65% of younger people voted compared to around 90% of the oldies.
Conservatives have, to a great extent, relied on the disinterest and apathy of younger people to help them previously so they have not needed to introduce this sort of gerrymandering obstacle in the past. They are now getting desperate at the thought of losing the next GE, even down to bribing the old to keep voting for them.

Reactions: C R

theclaud

Über Member
There's no disputing this point, but if younger people vote in the same numbers as the older ones, it may help negate the effects of the proposed changes. Something just over 50% of people under 35 voted in recent elections compared to around 80% of 65+.
Even in the Brexit referendum, with its relatively high turnout, around 65% of younger people voted compared to around 90% of the oldies.
Conservatives have, to a great extent, relied on the disinterest and apathy of younger people to help them previously so they have not needed to introduce this sort of gerrymandering obstacle in the past. They are now getting desperate at the thought of losing the next GE, even down to bribing the old to keep voting for them.

Why would they, with no party representing their interests?

Rusty Nails

Upright Member
Why would they, with no party representing their interests?

That's a cop out. The majority of those who do vote, vote Labour.
It just needs more of them to accept that political choices do impact upon them, and that they can have an influence on those political choices if they take an interest, but that real change is not going to happen overnight and often requires patience.
It has always been an issue that young people do not take as much of an active interest in politics as they could...politics, like pensions, is for oldies. It was like that when I was young and it is a failure of all parties that nothing has been done in our educational system, or the examples set by politicians, to change it.
This clearly does not concern the Tories, who profit from the fact that people generally grow more conservative as they grow older, but it is something that I would have hoped Labour would have acted upon in the past.

Top Bottom