But Where Are You Really From?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Accents can be odd. We had an IT tech who had a pronounced South African accent identical to that of the Afrikaans speakers we'd had in our own office. Spoke to him on the phone from time to time and had the mental image of a white Saffer.

When he came to a call out it turned out he was black.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
But perhaps, as I reach the three-score-and-ten mark, I'll suddenly turn right-wing & racist (it seems to be a thing).

Aspiring to become a superannuated old fossil?

Once you pass that milestone the racism, bigotry and intolerance are as unavoidable as nostril hairs and bushy eyebrows (possibly not with you @theclaud). You have to get your little harmless pleasures where you can.
DAMHIK

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Accents can be odd. We had an IT tech who had a pronounced South African accent identical to that of the Afrikaans speakers we'd had in our own office. Spoke to him on the phone from time to time and had the mental image of a white Saffer.

When he came to a call out it turned out he was black.

Had similar experience. Working as an IT Contractor, I frequently spoke with a particular lady on the phone. She had a pronounced Yorkshire accent, and, a very English sounding name. I imagined her as middle-aged, white, and short (OK, OK, no idea how I imagined that). When we eventually met in person, she was tall (approx 6ft), black, very attractive and slim. She found me lots of well paid IT work, so, no complaints from me. ;)

Ian H

Guru
Had similar experience. Working as an IT Contractor, I frequently spoke with a particular lady on the phone. She had a pronounced Yorkshire accent, and, a very English sounding name. I imagined her as middle-aged, white, and short (OK, OK, no idea how I imagined that). When we eventually met in person, she was tall (approx 6ft), black, very attractive and slim. She found me lots of well paid IT work, so, no complaints from me. ;)

I had a supplier who was always very jolly and amusing to talk with on the phone. I imagined him being rotund and middle-aged. When finally he visited us he was tall, ancient and cadaverous, with a head like a skull (possibly an exaggeration due to the shock of him being so at odds with my vision).

Mr Celine

I remember a phonecall I got from a South African when I was writing benefit appeals for the DWP. He wasn't entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance because he had only just arrived in the UK so wasn't 'habitually resident' in the UK. After explaining this to him several times he said
"I bet you wouldn't treat me this way if I was black".

When I responded "How do I know you're not?" he went completely silent, though I sure I could hear the sound of the cogwheels in his brain turning (very) slowly. After about ten seconds he hung up! :laugh:

Top Bottom