British Cycling's new sponsor - wtf are they thinking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
I have such a low opinion of British Cycling, that I can't really care much ...

On the plus side, Shell are going to spend their marketing budget somewhere, so why not benefit a few cyclists with it?

matticus

Guru
I see all the other forums [internet-wide I mean - not just The Other Place] are going through the same "But you all use oil every day!" trope ....

What pains me is not that I disagree with these people, but we have to struggle through the same tedious 6 pages of "debating" the basics before actually getting down to any useful discussion. 🤦‍♀️

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
What a load of crap. So what if Shell are involved in sponsorship, they are working on green energy too aren't they? Are we now saying that companies involved in energy production should not be allowed near cycling activities, while most of the people taking part in those races are riding their lovely carbon framed bikes?

Oh, and you should bear in mind that The Guardian care so much about cycling, they got the organisation being sponsored by Shell wrong :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I see all the other forums [internet-wide I mean - not just The Other Place] are going through the same "But you all use oil every day!" trope ....

What pains me is not that I disagree with these people, but we have to struggle through the same tedious 6 pages of "debating" the basics before actually getting down to any useful discussion. 🤦‍♀️

I think (and I may be wrong), is that people simply don't join the dots (or refuse to entertain they exist) and that's why the first 6 pages of debating the basics are required. And very few of us lead exemplary lives either, which always leads to criticisms of hypocricy. But that doesn't mean to say you shouldn't keep doing small things on a daily basis to move in a good direction.
Yes, we all use oil because the alternatives are difficult or unpalatable, but we can all use less.
Cycling is part of a move away from oil, for a gazillion of reasons but few will switch to full bicycle use overnight, but we could walk or cycle to the shops/pub a little more often rather than use the car.
We could all eat less meat and dairy, we can all use less plastic, shop local etc.

Big oil promoting cycling is not the end of the world, but I'm disappointed that an organisation that should be promoting more cycling/less oil (and all it's associated benefits) is using oils money to do it and giving oil a big positive spin.

In other news, Turkeys are voting for Christmas....

matticus

Guru
BIG news over on the other thread:

6 pages in: " bikes - especially carbon frames - use a lot of oil in their manufacture"
Who knew that?? If you didn't, go read the thread sheeple!

Like I say, BIG BIG news.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
BIG news over on the other thread:

6 pages in: " bikes - especially carbon frames - use a lot of oil in their manufacture"
Who knew that?? If you didn't, go read the thread sheeple!

Like I say, BIG BIG news.

There is an important distinction made on the other thread, that is that there is oil that's burnt for energy and oil that goes into making things such as resins, medicines, plastics where the oil/carbon is effectively sequestered. So there will always be a need for oil, just less to be burnt in the future (hopefully)....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There is an important distinction made on the other thread, that is that there is oil that's burnt for energy and oil that goes into making things such as resins, medicines, plastics where the oil/carbon is effectively sequestered. So there will always be a need for oil, just less to be burnt in the future (hopefully)....

I was always led to believe that petrol, (and possibly, diesel) are buy products of the refining process, not the actual product. No idea if this is true or an urban myth.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
I was always led to believe that petrol, (and possibly, diesel) are buy products of the refining process, not the actual product. No idea if this is true or an urban myth.

Am pretty certain it's urban nonsense. Though crude oils differ and certain grades will be better for producing certain products....

Am sure we'll have a petrochemicals expert here somewhere....

mudsticks

Squire
Personally I think Big Oil and their associates should be in court for crimes against humanity and ecology.

They knew a long time ago through their own research (which they suppressed and obfuscated) the effects of continued use of fossil fuels.
And they have continued to rubbish or downplay the scientific evidence of what would happen if we continued down this route

They've directly, overseen the human and ecological disasters in the name of oil exploration, and exploitation.

Wars, conflict, pollution, manipulation of debt dependancy in the global south, human rights abuses,and so on.

But even now, they're still only investing a tiny proportion of their profits in renewables - versus the vast amount of dosh they spend on extraction of fresh fossil fuels.

https://www.follow-this.org/shell-s...n-renewable-energy-around-90-in-fossil-fuels/

Profits which they've 'won' by extracting a commonly held natural resource, suppressing alternative energy sources, and imperiling the future of humanity and all the ecosystems upon which we depend for continued life.
For their own profit.

If British Cycling want to get into bed with them for a few measly quid??

Well I guess that's their call, but the optics aren't really that great are they??

If you're at all bothered, and if you've got such fancy stuff as investments or pension funds that may be tied up in Oil corps..

There are ways to find out, and make a positive change..
https://www.ft.com/greenpensions

matticus

Guru
But even now, they're still only investing a tiny proportion of their profits in renewables - versus the vast amount of dosh they spend on extraction of fresh fossil fuels.

https://www.follow-this.org/shell-s...n-renewable-energy-around-90-in-fossil-fuels/
Unfortunately, what we're seeing in the other "discussions", is statements that Shell are getting their act together, moving in the right direction*, following the international agreements, blah blah blah ...
All because they've marginally increased their rather pitiful spend on renewables (money which will probably give them a good return, as it happens!)

*This is possibly my favourite. I like reading it almost much as I enjoy reading "we are where we are" ...

Top Bottom