Back to the Good 'Ole Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But the biggest and most powerful economies in the world, US, China and India, none of them use the metric system. Would you describe them as going back in time, because they don't seem to be to me.

This is just another stupid Brexit bashing thread, dressed up as something else.

China uses the metric system, as we do here in HK, as does all other nations in Asia.

Tanis8472

Regular
Come on, dont let facts get in the way. 😉

Pale Rider

Veteran
The story in the OP refers to a review of 'thousands' of laws and regulations inherited from the EU - as promised in the Brexit manifesto.

It has bugger all to do with how Mr Chan buys his rice in his local market.

Laws and regulations made by us to suit us makes more sense than the one size fits all approach by the EU.

No doubt a lot of it will remain or our versions will be similar, but as Frostie says:

"We now have the opportunity to do things differently and ensure that Brexit freedoms are used to help businesses and citizens get on and succeed. Today’s announcement is just the beginning. The government will go further and faster to create a competitive, high-standards regulatory environment which supports innovation and growth across the UK as we build back better from the pandemic."

Makes sense to me, and I suspect lots of other British citizens.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Laws and regulations made by us to suit us makes more sense than the one size fits all approach by the EU

The UK signed up to the use of metric weights and measures long before the EU was even thought of.

There’s really no need to revert to pounds, ounces, pints, quarts, bushels, pecks and hundredweights. It won’t actually improve anything for anyone but will provide the theatre of this government appearing to ’take back control’ and appeal to older folk who mourn the fading memories of their youth.

All rather pointless really.

Pale Rider

Veteran
The UK signed up to the use of metric weights and measures long before the EU was even thought of.

There’s really no need to revert to pounds, ounces, pints, quarts, bushels, pecks and hundredweights. It won’t actually improve anything for anyone but will provide the theatre of this government appearing to ’take back control’ and appeal to older folk who mourn the fading memories of their youth.

All rather pointless really.

It's really very little to do with imperial weights and measures, the Crown stamp for a pint glass is optional.

It refers to literally thousands of laws and regulations, covering all manner of things.

The Guardian story highlights laws and regs applying to motor manufacture, the ports, clinical trials, and genetically modified crops, but there are many, many others which will be reviewed.

Frostie observed it will be a 'mammoth task', which I think is bound to be the case.

Ian H

Guru
I'm happy as long as the laws to do with consumer protection, workers' protection, health & safety, and product liability aren't removed or emasculated.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
It's really very little to do with imperial weights and measures, the Crown stamp for a pint glass is optional.

It refers to literally thousands of laws and regulations, covering all manner of things

That’s true but weights & measures are part of it, so what’s the benefit?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It's all a load of symbolic bollocks designed to appeal to the British jingoists and to show Johnson's government are "taking back control" after Brexit.

It will not improve a thing for the ordinary person but will get a standing ovation from the Party faithful at the annual conference.

And idiots lap it up.

Pale Rider

Veteran
It's all a load of symbolic bollocks designed to appeal to the British jingoists

If redrawing thousands of laws and regulations to our requirements is 'a load of symbolic bollocks', that rather begs the question what was the worth of those laws in the first place?

You might have to conclude that Brexit isn't such a bad idea after all.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
If redrawing thousands of laws and regulations to our requirements is 'a load of symbolic bollocks', that rather begs the question what was the worth of those laws in the first place?

You might have to conclude that Brexit isn't such a bad idea after all.
How many thousands of laws and regulations?
Were all those thousands holding us back? If so in what way?
Which laws and regulations were OK and do not need changing?
Which ones in particular do you think were the most disadvantageous to us and how should they be changed?

I suspect, like many Brexiters, you are only to happy to buy into this "taking back control" bollocks in the absence of any actual, measureable trade or economic benefits, even though you don't have any details of what it means practically.

Unless you can list those benefits seen so far, other than the magnificent trade deal with Australia which adds 0.02% to our economy.

Pale Rider

Veteran
How many thousands of laws and regulations?
Were all those thousands holding us back? If so in what way?
Which laws and regulations were OK and do not need changing?
Which ones in particular do you think were the most disadvantageous to us and how should they be changed?

I suspect, like many Brexiters, you are only to happy to buy into this "taking back control" bollocks in the absence of any actual, measureable trade or economic benefits, even though you don't have any details of what it means practically.

Unless you can list those benefits seen so far, other than the magnificent trade deal with Australia which adds 0.02% to our economy.

Some of the topics are listed in the Guardian article, which only scratches the surface.

We temporarily kept all the EU stuff as a housekeeping measure, because reviewing all of it is such a large task.

The advantage is the opportunity to redraw all these thousands of rules and regs in our favour, rather than at present them being a one size fits all EU version.

Much, or even most of it, may not change a great deal, but part of Brexit is the chance to look again at EU legislation to which we were subjected.

It could be seen as the nitty gritty of Brexit, which makes all the 'Brexit is shite' stories so far look like what they are - an irrelevance.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Some of the topics are listed in the Guardian article, which only scratches the surface.We temporarily kept all the EU stuff as a housekeeping measure, because reviewing all of it is such a large task. The advantage is the opportunity to redraw all these thousands of rules and regs in our favour, rather than at present them being a one size fits all EU version. Much, or even most of it, may not change a great deal, but part of Brexit is the chance to look again at EU legislation which we were subjected involved in drafting and agreeing.
It could be seen as the nitty gritty of Brexit, which makes all the 'Brexit is shite' stories so far look like what they are - an irrelevance.

As I said, all symbolic bollocks.

I have corrected your error about "subjected".

Pale Rider

Veteran
As I said, all symbolic bollocks.

I have corrected your error about "subjected".

We were subject to the EU legislation.

If we were not, a key reason for leaving would have been lost.

I don't regard the huge range of topics covered in this review to be all 'symbolic bollocks', but perhaps you do.

While I think a lot of our new UK laws will be similar to the EU ones they replace, I won't be doing the review so there could be some major changes afoot, and there will inevitably be lots of minor ones.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
The advantage is the opportunity to redraw all these thousands of rules and regs in our favour

The OP highlighted imperial weights and measures as one of the areas affected. I hate to labour the point but how does that favour us if we revert to lb & oz? What’s to be gained? I’m really interested to know.

Top Bottom