'At Pace'....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

I've yet to hear anyone claim to 'serve' in the Health Service or Civil Service or Financial Services, people just have jobs.
"I served as a nursing auxiliary in the West Kent Eczema unit": no you didn't.
"I served in the Mau Mau Rebellion": thankyou for your service.
What distinguishes the roles that we ennoble in this way, larding on the suggestion of sacrifice and duty and higher calling?
And why is it you really care exactly?

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Because I'm interested in understanding generally - aren't you? - and in this instance looking at what ends are being served, what reified, by these seemingly inconsistent linguistic conventions.

D

Deleted member 28

Because I'm interested in understanding generally - aren't you? - and in this instance looking at what ends are being served, what reified, by these seemingly inconsistent linguistic conventions.
Not really, would you be so 'interested' if it had been a Labour MP that had said it I wonder?

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Had said what?
It's the cross party, societal lingua franca. You're salivating at the sound of no bell.
Are you in the pub?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I've yet to hear anyone claim to 'serve' in the Health Service or Civil Service or Financial Services, people just have jobs.
"I served as a nursing auxiliary in the West Kent Eczema unit": no you didn't.
"I served in the Mau Mau Rebellion": thankyou for your service.
What distinguishes the roles that we ennoble in this way, larding on the suggestion of sacrifice and duty and higher calling?
Currently reading memoirs of Alan Johnson (ex Lab MP/Minister). Referring to his time as a postman, his explanation is, at the time, organisation was staffed very much by ex-military types, who, naturally used terms like, service, duty, leave, whereas us lot would say, job, shift, holiday, or whatever.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Talk about bullshit!
Hmm.. better might be:
"Oops. I do seem to have jumped the gun here. I apologise for not having bothered to read what was said before lungeing like an incomprehending cock. Perhaps I should rein in the lunchtime drinking."

Ian H

Guru
It arrived on the scene suddenly, near the start of Covid, a whole new Conservative speak. All of a sudden, stuff was happening 'At Pace', or 'At Scale', no longer quickly or urgently, Bigly (sic) or in large quantities/ volumes/numbers, but just at pace and at scale.
Did anyone else notice or is it just me?
It seems to become part of the new speaking....
It annoys.
It's probably the result of some semi-linguist thinking outside the box.
(is it from horse-racing/training, perchance?)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It's probably the result of some semi-linguist thinking outside the box.
(is it from horse-racing/training, perchance?)

It is a phrase which appears to have been around for a while.

As mentioned above, by another poster, it is Civil Service Documents, unfortunately, this one is undated, as far as I can see.

D

Deleted member 28

Hmm.. better might be:
"Oops. I do seem to have jumped the gun here. I apologise for not having bothered to read what was said before lungeing like an incomprehending cock. Perhaps I should rein in the lunchtime drinking."
Drinking?
Good try, I was 500 ft up Birmingham tower prior to reading your post. No Drinking and Climbing for me.

Pale Rider

Veteran
As an international man of corporate business, I'm surprised @Fab Foodie finds phrases such as 'at pace' worth remarking on.

In his world, bullshite phrases are de rigeur.

One I've heard recently in different environments is 'a rising tide floats all boats'.

'At pace' is current now, but it will be some other cobblers in a month or two.

Top Bottom