Are you still wearing a face mask?

Are you still wearing a face mask?

• Yes - all of the time

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes - most of the time (in shops etc.)

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
There are only three poll options - All of the Time, Most of the Time, and No. I ticked Most of the Time, which is not true. I deemed it to be the closest. I wear it in shops, on public transport and in some work situations - much less than an hour a day on average. I sometimes wear one to go into pubs, but because people take off their masks as soon as they are drinking, it seems pointless. I still seek pubs with outdoor areas and avoid ones that have all the windows closed. I do go to football - only a minority of people wear masks, but then the ventilation is very good. :cold:

In my experience, people are willing to wear them if they feel it's making a difference, but hate wearing them, so are quite glad of 'permission' or excuses not to. Which is why there's an extra level of responsibility for those who have power or influence.
I'd go along with most of that (except I haven't been to a footy match - but I've played a fair bit of sport instead.)

But I think the influence of Boris, or the Queen, or Sandi Toksvig is minimal; people are influenced by the other people where they go.
If challenged (and how many here have actually challenged a real-world person?) they may use Boris as an excuse - but that ain't why they chose not to wear a mask.

[And as no-one hear has done proper data-gathering, you're all guessing just as wildly as I am. So there :P ]

mjr

The first speech I heard from Javid as Health Sec was basically vaccination, vaccination, vaccination and nothing else.

View: https://twitter.com/denise_dewald/status/1453369761320996872

Meanwhile, it seems that the Netherlands may have some data that football matches are transmission hotspots, as they're expected to ban spectators from them during their imminent lockdown. https://inews.co.uk/news/world/netherlands-lockdown-winter-covid-cases-record-high-europe-1297272

mjr

[And as no-one hear has done proper data-gathering, you're all guessing just as wildly as I am. So there :P ]
So let's look at what people doing proper data-gathering (depending how much you trust Conservative-aligned YouGov to be proper, but noting that official government advice is to wear mask indoors and in crowds) are finding:

"Amongst those who support bringing back masks, the main reason given for not wearing one is that they had forgotten it or didn’t have one with them at the time (43%). Other top reasons provided by this group were because others weren’t wearing one (11%), or they felt they were able to keep their distance from others instead (11%)."

"The harder group to convince are those who did not wear a mask at all in the last seven days and oppose the policy. The most common answer for not wearing a mask amongst these people is because it is no longer mandatory (27%), suggesting that were there a rule change they may start wearing again (albeit begrudgingly). The next most common reasons imply stronger anti-mask sentiment, however, including because masks don’t work (19%), they don’t like wearing them (13%) or general comments suggesting that they do not feel the need to (14%). All of this suggests that a great deal of people would return to always wearing masks should the government tell them they have to once again."

Source: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/...e-support-masks-so-why-arent-they-wearing-the dated 9 November 2021.

matticus

Guru
So let's look at what people doing proper data-gathering (depending how much you trust Conservative-aligned YouGov to be proper, but noting that official government advice is to wear mask indoors and in crowds) are finding:

"Amongst those who support bringing back masks, the main reason given for not wearing one is that they had forgotten it or didn’t have one with them at the time (43%). Other top reasons provided by this group were because others weren’t wearing one (11%), or they felt they were able to keep their distance from others instead (11%)."

"The harder group to convince are those who did not wear a mask at all in the last seven days and oppose the policy. The most common answer for not wearing a mask amongst these people is because it is no longer mandatory (27%), suggesting that were there a rule change they may start wearing again (albeit begrudgingly). The next most common reasons imply stronger anti-mask sentiment, however, including because masks don’t work (19%), they don’t like wearing them (13%) or general comments suggesting that they do not feel the need to (14%). All of this suggests that a great deal of people would return to always wearing masks should the government tell them they have to once again."

Source: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/...e-support-masks-so-why-arent-they-wearing-the dated 9 November 2021.
Well thankyou for a good bit of digging.👍
But that doesn't seem to tell us anything about Boris' alleged Top Influencer status.

Jon George

Whilst I wear a cloth mask (with tissue paper inserts) for shops, I have decided to start re-using this medical-grade mask for the few times I pass through the bar of my favourite pub to the beer garden. (There's no ventilation now that it's getting colder.) The filters will remove any aerosol particles and I don't give a damn what people think. It does the job.
photo 2 (2).JPG

D

Deleted member 28

Whilst I wear a cloth mask (with tissue paper inserts) for shops, I have decided to start re-using this medical-grade mask for the few times I pass through the bar of my favourite pub to the beer garden. (There's no ventilation now that it's getting colder.) The filters will remove any aerosol particles and I don't give a damn what people think. It does the job. View attachment 205
You wear THAT in a pub!:laugh:

matticus

Guru
You wear THAT in a pub!:laugh:
Noone will notice if it's next door to a building site.
(or if the pub has a lot of vermin problems ... )

The Crofted Crest

Meanwhile, it seems that the Netherlands may have some data that football matches are transmission hotspots, as they're expected to ban spectators from them during their imminent lockdown.

The Dutch FA would disagree (Google translation):

It is with great dismay that we have taken note of the possible new corona measures. It is more than frustrating to see that the cabinet is apparently not looking at the sources of infection. These did not take place in the stadiums, as has been demonstrated several times, and yet the public is the first to draw a line in professional football. In any case, this is now being discussed. This resembles policy poverty, people in The Hague no longer know what to do.

In the stadiums, people sit on a chair in the open air, while visitors from sectors that are currently not or less affected by the measures are indoors or are constantly mixed up. We have invested tens of thousands of euros per location to make everything corona-proof for the spectators. Hundreds of matches have been played with the public since the first lockdown and not a single match has led to major corona infections. The figures from the RIVM and GGD also confirm this. We fully cooperated in the field labs and then the pilots with the corona test evidence. This gave us (scientific) knowledge and experience that we could share with other sectors. We have been checking the corona admission ticket for a long time with even a 100% score and that goes smoothly in professional football.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
There are only three poll options - All of the Time, Most of the Time, and No. I ticked Most of the Time, which is not true. I deemed it to be the closest. I wear it in shops, on public transport and in some work situations - much less than an hour a day on average. I sometimes wear one to go into pubs, but because people take off their masks as soon as they are drinking, it seems pointless. I still seek pubs with outdoor areas and avoid ones that have all the windows closed. I do go to football - only a minority of people wear masks, but then the ventilation is very good. :cold:

In my experience, people are willing to wear them if they feel it's making a difference, but hate wearing them, so are quite glad of 'permission' or excuses not to. Which is why there's an extra level of responsibility for those who have power or influence.

thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

I took “all the time” to mean “all the time it was required/recommended “, not 24/7.

on that basis, and your explanation of your mask wearing, I would have taken you as “all the time”.

All I am saying is: in the area I live, mask wearing on public transport is 25% or less; in shops and shopping malls <10%; in pubs while moving around (not seated) <5%.

I am retired, so, cannot comment on workplace. I don’t attend football or other sporting venues, so, cannot comment on them.

All of my figure are of course guesstimates, I don’t sit and count mask wearers.

Based on above, and, the poll, I would still say the people replying to the poll are not typical of the public in my area.

Top Bottom