Are you still wearing a face mask?

Are you still wearing a face mask?

• Yes - all of the time

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes - most of the time (in shops etc.)

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
The likelihood is that someone did and he ignored them.

What difference does it make?

The difference? Well, it's 2 very different chains of events, isn't it? We only have half the story if we just look at that one staged photo. Seems obvious to me ...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Does or doesn't equate? I might see a few at the Football (just watch the footage to confirm) none in the local pub and the odd shop I go in there doesn't seem many, don't use public transport much so can't really comment.

My experience is similar to yours. I don't go to sports events, but, in pub, restaurants, shopping centres, shops, metro, bus, majority not wearing a mask, in my area.

According to the poll, at beginning of this thread, 77% of people on here ARE wearing a mask, under those circumstances. so, they are not typical of the area in which I live.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Forgive me if I don't treat your "likelihood" as a certainty :laugh:

The difference? Well, it's 2 very different chains of events, isn't it? We only have half the story if we just look at that one staged photo. Seems obvious to me ...
He was told. The hospital, much as I think they have been put in a difficult position which they've not handled brilliantly, have confirmed that he was told.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...red-without-a-face-mask-during-visit-12466377

If Hexham hospital is like any other, they will have signs and reminders up on entrances and basically all over the place. And given the scale and importance of the current situation, the PM should, and undoubtedly does know the masking policy of NHS trusts, and of anywhere he visits.

Do you think it coincidence that shortly after the PM's maskless photo was published, we all got an email reminding us of our masking policy, which for staff is to wear a surgical mask at all times, the only exceptions being if we're in an office on our own, or if we're eating or drinking in which case we should be distancing? In the office, I wear a mask. In the lab, I wear a mask. In meetings, I wear a mask. Getting a coffee, I wear a mask. Giving a presentation, I wear a mask. Visitors are also required to wear face coverings. Patients, engineers, contractors, visiting academics, everyone.

Johnson knows this. He knows. Yet he chose to go maskless. It can only be a conscious decision on his part. Same as the general lifting of restrictions, same as going maskless in the commons, it's all about projecting an image.

He was told and he knows.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

Just for info, that link returns a "page not found" error.

Try this one: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...red-without-a-face-mask-during-visit-12466377

"Bosses at Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, said everyone on the official visit was "formally advised and reminded" of the "very clear" mask-wearing rules and information was "included in the written programme".

mjr

Johnson knows this. He knows. Yet he chose to go maskless. It can only be a conscious decision on his part. Same as the general lifting of restrictions, same as going maskless in the commons, it's all about projecting an image.
Why does he want to project an image of arrogance and recklessness?

winjim

Just for info, that link returns a "page not found" error.

Try this one: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...red-without-a-face-mask-during-visit-12466377

"Bosses at Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, which runs the hospital, said everyone on the official visit was "formally advised and reminded" of the "very clear" mask-wearing rules and information was "included in the written programme".
Thanks, copy-paste error. Hopefully fixed now.

Because it has served him well all his life. Like it or not is is part of his appeal to many.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
My experience is similar to yours. I don't go to sports events, but, in pub, restaurants, shopping centres, shops, metro, bus, majority not wearing a mask, in my area.

According to the poll, at beginning of this thread, 77% of people on here ARE wearing a mask, under those circumstances. so, they are not typical of the area in which I live.
There are only three poll options - All of the Time, Most of the Time, and No. I ticked Most of the Time, which is not true. I deemed it to be the closest. I wear it in shops, on public transport and in some work situations - much less than an hour a day on average. I sometimes wear one to go into pubs, but because people take off their masks as soon as they are drinking, it seems pointless. I still seek pubs with outdoor areas and avoid ones that have all the windows closed. I do go to football - only a minority of people wear masks, but then the ventilation is very good. :cold:

In my experience, people are willing to wear them if they feel it's making a difference, but hate wearing them, so are quite glad of 'permission' or excuses not to. Which is why there's an extra level of responsibility for those who have power or influence.

winjim

I'm not qualified to speak of Johnson's underlying psychopathology but it's seemed to me that since Javid took over, and this may go back to Brexit as well, the only virus mitigation measure that the government is prepared to consider is vaccination. The first speech I heard from Javid as Health Sec was basically vaccination, vaccination, vaccination and nothing else.

I think they want to project an image that the pandemic is essentially over, if we all get vaccinated then we can resume going about our business exactly as before. Even despite of course, the country's poor performance in vaccination, especially in children.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Your handy guide when listening to Boris Johnson speak ...

liar.jpg

winjim

I do go to football - only a minority of people wear masks, but then the ventilation is very good. :cold:
I don't follow football but I believe this might be an appropriate opportunity for some jocular banter regarding ease of social distancing related to the size of the crowd attracted by the particular club you support.

Top Bottom