Another Labour lass torpedoes the party

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
She'd get my vote, I quite like her no nonsense approach
And mine.
Importantly it should go well down well with a large swathe of voters too both traditional Labour and many wavering Cons.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Inevitable depends on the General Election outcome and we've a long way to go before then. I wouldn't write Starmer off yet.

Well I thinking there might be a general election in the Autumn as I was expecting Boris to get the push before Easter, but that is looking less likely as he seems to be weathering the party scandal atm. If we get past covid, and the election is a while away, Starmer might have a better chance of making some progress.

matticus

Guru
One of my childhood heroes.
Along with Magnus Pike, Heinz Wolf, Jacques Cousteau, Patrick Moore, and Brunowski who fired-up my interest in science at a young age....
I can declare that I've met one of these men ( and in a science-education context). I reserve comment on "hero" status until someone clarifies if any of them are on a list .... :-/

icowden

Legendary Member
Founder of Momentum succeeds in a bid to scrap the Youth Wing of Labour according to the Guardian...
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...es-its-student-wing-ahead-of-party-conference
Well, according to the Guardian 2 years ago. Old news?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Correct... I obvs need to check my source a little closer!
There's a fuck-off great big yellow banner at the top of the article to tell you it's old news. And it wasn't ever the 'youth wing' of the party, just a tiny Blairite faction.

Cirrus

And it wasn't ever the 'youth wing' of the party, just a tiny Blairite faction

From the article… “The founder of Momentum, a key ally of Jeremy Corbyn, has succeeded in a bid to make the party effectively abolish its 40-year-old student wing”

Didn’t realise Blairites have been about for 40 years?

icowden

Legendary Member
From the article… “The founder of Momentum, a key ally of Jeremy Corbyn, has succeeded in a bid to make the party effectively abolish its 40-year-old student wing”

Didn’t realise Blairites have been about for 40 years?
Wikipedia has a bit more insight into it.

Founded in 1971 as the National Organisation of Labour Students, it renamed itself in the early 1990s. In 2016 the National Conference adopted a one member - one vote policy. Out of 30,000 members of Labour Students, only 507 were able to vote. Many University Labout clubs then disaffiliated from Labour Students. Jon Lansmand then tabled a motion in 2019 to dissolve Labour Students on the ground that they had not paid their affiliation fees nor submitted their political rules to the party. They appealed but failed. That was the end of Labour Students.

Top Bottom