After the Colston four, the Gill one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LOL start another thread if you're fans of the superhero cosplay dudes, peeps. If you don't get why we need be wary of men whose self-image is that they are the wronged good guys protecting the innocent children from manipulative womenfolk and paedo strangers, then I don't know if I can help. I'm just saying I don't think Eric Gill's public artworks are the number one child protection issue of the day.
Superhero cosplay dudes? You still don't get the point do you?

Aiui in the majority of cases that come before the court both parents are granted access, by the courts if it's considered to be safe for / in the interest of the child / children.
Majority of the cases also doesn't include abuse etc. most parents who divorce find a way to work it out together, often without needing the court.
So where not talking about the majority where talking about the minority, and in this case the minority from the minority where the man feels left out.(notice the ''feels'' i'm not picking sides)
But Fathers for justice has brought some cases to court where the judge said ''yes indeed this father has been kept away from his children for the wrong reasons'' or ''this mother has misled the courts'' problem is these cases take years, enough for a mother to put their children against their gather and to ruin any change the father would have had to play an rule in his children's upbringing.

So access being denied to one parent by the courts will tend to be around the risk of abuse, yes, generally continued contact with both parents is considered to be a good thing unless there are solid reasons for the courts to judge otherwise. .
Where Fathers of justice in the past and present tries to point out that risk of abuse comes from both sides, in that minorty from a minority kind of situation where talking about here.
In some cases the children would be better of in a foster home with both parents having visiting rights for example.

There is not, nor should there be, any 'inaliable right' to have contact with your children, whether mother or father..
Not said or implied by me, the law, or fathers for justice so not relevant.
And certainly no right for one parent to have contact with the other parent.
Based on ruling history the children do get appointed to the mother more often in cases where both parent are deemed ''suitable'' women's privilege maybe?
And therein often lies the problem.

I'm sure you don't need telling, that there are too many cases where an abuser, has used access to the kids , to get at the ex, to continue the abuse.
Is abuser universally men in your view? Because shocker women can be just as abusive, more often not physical but emotional, controlling, etc. like setting the children up against their ex-partner for example.

Trouble is, what some people see as 'normal' and or 'justified' behaviour in relationships, or in the case of relationship breakdown, is in fact abusive and or coercive.

Victims of domestic abuse, not always but far more often the mother - are not properly protected in these cases.
There is lots of protection available especially in this kind of situations, there are also fathers who due to their violent past only can see their children at a police station for example. I don't agree that the mother is more often victim of domestic abuse, unless you concentrate on physical abuse only, but if you also take mental and emotional abuse into account i don't think it will differiate much. The issue is getting correct number because the suicide rate on mental heath issue especially as part of domestic abuse are quite high. (and 75% of suicides are men)

Hence we are still seeing horribly high numbers of women suffering violence at the hands of, or even being killed by their partners, or ex partners.
Sometimes via having had contact with the kids

Sometimes the kids get murdered too
nothing to do with this subject how altough it surely is awfull, a second thing in this kind of violence is also the new partner, but that is an whole topic on ti's own.

Who has ever said that all women are Angels..??
It said not all women are angels.. just like not all white people are racist, not all politicians are liars(i hope you don't ask for proof of that lol) etc.
Since when did father's not have a 'voice'..?
Well that's where fathers for justice fights for you can read on their website i see them put sources by most of their claims so you can fully check whether or not you agree with them. That entrirely up to you, i don't think father have an equal voice in divorce situations. Especially when it comes down to court action. And for example on claimed domestic abuse, how many women support groups are there? and how many for males? locally here at least 6 for women, even more of you count religion specific and 0 that's zero for men.

So try to place yourself in the position of a domestically abused men for a second, do you really feel you voice would be heard? if there is zero help available?

It's not long since father's had total control and ownership of their children, and indeed of their 'wives'.
Shocker in Afghanistan, Parts of the usa(alltough not by law) many countries in the middle east, that is in more or less forms still the case. But where talking about the uk here and in the uk that is not the case anymore.(thankfully)

The fact that power imbalance has been redressed (somewhat) still seems to offend some people.
No you're trying to oversimplyfy a very complicated issue and try to make it once again only about tradition gender roles which is kind of ironic since you are always campaigning against that. Well this is an point where you could call to make a difference call to break the chain and change the way think are handled, but instead you so the opposite.

Wake up call, it's not always about you being an women, it's not always about more rights for men or women, this should be about an equal position for both parents(Notice ''parents'' you also have same sex couples for example) and not a better position for women because their lawyer says to mention abuse or because of the bias that mother takes care of the children etc.

Good plan - on the fresh thread - or maybe not.. :wacko:

To be fair to Rusty I think he has opined that he has no particular sympathy with F4J (J4M?) as he observes that they're not particularly helping anything much, particularly not around the welfare of children...
your'e missing the point of you think there about the wellfare of children, they want a better position for fathers especially in when it comes to divorces. Don't get me wrong i know far to less about them to campaign for their case but i think i you discus something at least have their intended goals right.
In related news, apparently Save the Children has announced that it will stop using Gill Sans in its branding. I mean, OK, I guess - other typefaces are available - but let's not kid ourselves that this is child protection rather than optics. Hopefully they've started taking allegations about creeps and harassers in their own senior management seriously, now that they're back on the government contract train...
I don't know if it's good, would be better if they realized his position before someone decided to destroy the statue. It's always the same reactive BS as if there doing the right thing.. I mean quick read on wikipedia learns that his abuse was exposed in ''89 bit late to stop it in your branding for moral grounds in my view.

I think I'm going to use this as a sig line.
Happy to help, the quote without the context however has a totally different meaning.

If I may drag the thread back from Bolders' personal anecdotes to the bloke who attacked the sculpture...

His ex has alleged domestic abuse, and he's been convicted of harassing and threatening his former landlady. He kidnapped her dog and threatened to kill it, left threatening 20-minute long voicemail messages, sent her an email calling her a 'fat lesbian alcoholic' and left abusive reviews on Spare room. He appears to be am anti-vaxer and 'plandemic' conspiracy theorist, and thinks the BBC are 'paedo c**ts'. The message he wrote on the sculpture was 'noose all peados [sic]'.
If you would have wrote that right away it would have been a whole different discussion.
"According to Tim Cole of the University of Bristol, the Colston statue was proposed as a response to the nearby erection of another statue in Bristol, depicting Edmund Burke, who had been critical of the city's involvement in the slave trade."

"The Colston monument has, likewise, always been political. Cole told me that the statue was put up in 1895—some 174 years after Colston’s death—in response to another statue. That one celebrated the politician and philosopher Edmund Burke, a conservative who disapproved of Britain’s high-handed attitude toward its colonies.

"Those agitating for a Colston memorial wanted it to stand within what Cole calls “statue spitting distance” of Burke, who had been critical of the city’s slave trade. Burke had also argued for fair taxation, while Bristol’s 19th-century merchants championed trickle-down economics, which, according to Cole, “says that actually the way wealth is redistributed in society is through acts of philanthropy.” Colston, who endowed schools, hospitals, almshouses, and other institutions, was therefore the merchants’ hero. His statue was funded not by the taxes of a grateful populace but by private, and largely anonymous, donors. In other words, it was an eight-foot-tall bronze middle finger to Burke’s admirers. It was the product of a culture war from the start."
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/bristol-colston-statue-culture-war-history/619671/

Still doesn't justify dumping it in the water or make it right that a judge makes comments in the line off ''i'm afraid the jurors felt pressured by calls from the defense lawyers the stand ''on the right side of history'' I mean i think that whole demonstration would have so much more empowering if they would have come back daily until the council would have removed the statue.

matticus

Guru
Public harassment of individual court officials and physical assaults on MPs are not legitimate forms of protest.
Very true.

But as you (and t'Claud) well know, this is not what F4J are famous for. Hence the reference to " superhero cos-play". Careful shifting those goalposts, not good if that rib hasn't healed yet old chap!

(They have a legitimate issue, whether you like it or not - after all, vandalism was very recently judged legal where a just cause existed. )

Ian H

Guru
Very true.

But as you (and t'Claud) well know, this is not what F4J are famous for. Hence the reference to " superhero cos-play". Careful shifting those goalposts, not good if that rib hasn't healed yet old chap!
The harassment & assaults were reported at the time. They have less comedy value than cosplay costumes.
(They have a legitimate issue, whether you like it or not - after all, vandalism was very recently judged legal where a just cause existed. )
Non-sequitur alert!

They may possibly have a point (I don't know), but there is an awful lot of push-back against any perceived increase in women's rights. Most of it appears to me to be simply misogynistic.

(The rib's okay as long as I don't sneeze)

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Hmmm. Remind us how we got off-topic into debating the merits of a legitimate protest group (whose merits you perhaps disagree with)?
Gladly. I introduced new information about the political affiliations and possible motives of the person whose act is the subject of the thread, and you, Rusty and the incoherent dude got all salty because you're sympathetic to these F4J creeps on some level. They're a pernicious, misogynistic organisation doing actual damage way beyond Ariel's appendages - to women, children, and the family courts. Their MO is to perpetuate damaging myths in order to prejudice family courts against women. I would also argue that their contributions to the actual problems they claim to care about (men's mental health, children having fulfilling relationships with both parents after separation, and so on) are largely making them worse - the episode that occasioned this thread does not suggest to me that its perpetrator is in a good place, after decades of their 'support'. They did once chuck flour at Tony Blair, mind, so maybe they're not completely irredeemable.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
They may possibly have a point (I don't know), but there is an awful lot of push-back against any perceived increase in women's rights. Most of it appears to me to be simply misogynistic.

"simply misogynistic" - they are mostly just parents wanting to see their children.

It shows how desperate they are if they will climb Tower Bridge dressed as Father Christmas (with the inevitable criminal proceedings that followed).

If that is evidence of this:
got all salty because you're sympathetic to these F4J creeps on some level

then I guess I'll have to live with it.

mudsticks

Squire
Very true.

Their first web page states that no child should be denied their 'human right' to a father .

Err hello ?

They then go on to say that 1* in 3 children are living without a father.

Implying that this is all brought about by 'secret' family courts.. Er how are they 'secret' if they're reporting on them.??

*No mention of father's deserting their kids, or of mothers escaping abusive relationships, or any other number of causes.

There's something in there about 'equal parenting rights'.

Well yes you could indeed quite legitimately campaign for an equal parenting effort being made by all genders, it does happen sometimes , but the majority of unpaid domestic labour is still done by women.

And better childcare provision, counselling and mediation being available, family and social services properly funded, etc etc. But that's doesn't seem to be what this lot are talking about is it??

Its all about what they want and their rights, hiding behind supposed concern for their kids.

And they're using harassment, and threat of violence to advance their cause - how ironic..

>>>>>"Stunts have included supporters forcibly entering courts dressed in Father Christmas outfits, putting the Government's Minister for Children in handcuffs, and group member Jason Hatch climbing onto Buckingham Palace dressed as Batman.[4] They have also protested by handcuffing two other government ministers.[5] Former members of the group have claimed Fathers4Justice/the Matt O' Connor family, have "lost its way" by being sidetracked from reforming family law, and descending into personal attacks on Twitter, libel (for which they were sued), and allegations of illegal acts such as putting an MP under surveillance and tracking her movements with a GPS tracking unit.[1]"

( sorry lazily snipped from wiki - but i'm suppose to be doing something else :angel:)

I've no doubt that in some cases judgements do go 'unfairly' against fathers - and no doubt the same for some mothers - and that should be subject to a fair review.

But to read even the front page of their website, you can see why Ian might come up with his view of major pushback against women's rights - and very little real interest in advancing the needs of families, nor of children..

The harassment & assaults were reported at the time. They have less comedy value than cosplay costumes.

Non-sequitur alert!

Nor laugh too hard - although tbh not much risk of that if you hang around here - so praps best you do stick around ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
"simply misogynistic" - they are mostly just parents wanting to see their children.

It shows how desperate they are if they will climb Tower Bridge dressed as Father Christmas (with the inevitable criminal proceedings that followed).

If that is evidence of this:

then I guess I'll have to live with it.

Did you read the link I posted?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
you could indeed quite legitimately campaign for an equal parenting effort being made by all genders, it does happen sometimes , but the majority of unpaid domestic labour is still done by women

Steady on now - this sort of thing risks actually fixing the real problems, instead of inventing imaginary diversions that allow men to blame their exes for everything. How odd that it doesn't feature at all in F4J's campaigns!

Top Bottom