A Stewart Lee thread for theClaud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Anybody know Tim Heidecker? I just came across his stand up special and it seems to come from a similar place to Stewart Lee. It deconstructs a lot of bad American club comedy and I think like Lee, it's not funny unless you're with him on the joke, and judging by the YouTube comments he seems to have a similar cult following. I liked it but had I not known what it was beforehand I might have just mistaken it for bad comedy and switched it off. I still can't decide whether it's funny and clever, or if I only think it's funny and clever because someone has told me that's what it is...

View: https://youtu.be/0gnnFVRlucg

Milkfloat

I get what he is doing, but could still only last 15 minutes. Not for me.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I get what he is doing, but could still only last 15 minutes. Not for me.
I know what you mean. I don't know if people like it just so they can proclaim in a loud voice 'I get this!'. It's almost played too straight, in that it just is the very thing it's parodying.

He breaks character and sings some songs about drinking piss for the last fifteen minutes if that's more your thing.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I still can't decide whether it's funny and clever, or if I only think it's funny and clever because someone has told me that's what it is...
I am sure this is true for many people.

Very often I have a wry or a knowing smile at some "political" comedy act, virtually always because it chimes with my views, and I of course am one of the cognoscenti, but rarely would I actually laugh.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Sorry! Forgot to revisit thread! Yes it was great. It's sort of two different shows stuck together. It's got all the Lee hallmarks - extended and arguably justifiable grudges, ruthless overkill, perpetual deconstruction, ludicrous attention to detail, arrogance and relentless self-criticism constantly fighting it out, the weaving together of apparently disparate bits into a coherent whole... Under it all he seemed, if it's possible to unpick it from all that, in a genuinely good mood - probably just glad to be back on tour. The place and the audience still come under fire, but it seemed gentler underneath than when I saw Content Provider - although perhaps that was because that was in Brecon...

Sorry! Forgot to revisit thread! Yes it was great. It's sort of two different shows stuck together. It's got all the Lee hallmarks - extended and arguably justifiable grudges, ruthless overkill, perpetual deconstruction, ludicrous attention to detail, arrogance and relentless self-criticism constantly fighting it out, the weaving together of apparently disparate bits into a coherent whole... Under it all he seemed, if it's possible to unpick it from all that, in a genuinely good mood - probably just glad to be back on tour. The place and the audience still come under fire, but it seemed gentler underneath than when I saw Content Provider - although perhaps that was because that was in Brecon...
Did he spot anyone in the audience filming the show, grab his phone, throw it onstage, then undo his trousers, pick the phone-up, rub it in his arse-crack and throw the phone off-stage?

Ian H

Guru
Did he spot anyone in the audience filming the show, grab his phone, throw it onstage, then undo his trousers, pick the phone-up, rub it in his arse-crack and throw the phone off-stage?
I'd better check whether we have aisle seats.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member

No doubt the audience thought this was hilarious but when you do this in Tesco they call security and confiscate your Club Card. As usual, one rule for the rich and famous another for the rest of us.

Top Bottom