A Stewart Lee thread for theClaud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
I don't think I'd heard of Jethro until he passed away. Am I to take it he's the South West contemporary of Roy 'Chubby' Brown? Or more a 'retro' Bernard Manning type? By 'contemporary' I mean smutty, and by 'retro', I mean racist, obviously.
That kind of thing, but he was a local comedian for local people.
Both sides of my family were in either Foxhill and Boxfield Road Axminster. Straight after the war my Dad's family was moved to a Prefab, but I don't know where they were in Axminster.
Uncle Bob worked at the old Workhouse, Grandad Smith worked at the Surgery, Uncle David worked at Shands (when he wasn't propping-up the bar at the Con Club)...happy days!
The pre-fabs were at Millwey Rise, I believe.
I had a brief stint at Shands as a 'technical librarian', sorting drawings & paperwork from other parts of the Staveley Group. I could tell you stirring stories about Jaguar cylinder blocks and bogies for Indian railway stock.
It's houses & a Tesco now.

Ian H

Guru
Isn't that the fate of too much British industry.
Well Axminster lost Shands, Axe Vale Laundry, Mouldings the builders, most of Carpets, and other employers. But Axminster Tools has grown enormous and Hugh Witty-Furniturestall has moved in.

I was told by an old boy that, in times gone by, if, whilst working for one of the main companies, you applied for a job at another, not only would you not get the job you applied for but you'd lose the one you had. Positively feudal, it was.

FishFright

That kind of thing, but he was a local comedian for local people.

The pre-fabs were at Millwey Rise, I believe.
I had a brief stint at Shands as a 'technical librarian', sorting drawings & paperwork from other parts of the Staveley Group. I could tell you stirring stories about Jaguar cylinder blocks and bogies for Indian railway stock.
It's houses & a Tesco now.

.jpg?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=45&auto=format&w=1200&h=1200.jpg

We see no problem with that

Mugshot

Über Member
James O’Brien’s podcast guest this week is Stewart Lee.
That’s a must listen for the anti woke brigade 😀
Talking of O'Brien and the anti-woke, here's a caller giving, what is in my opinion, the clearest definition of woke and anti-woke ever.
Absolutely nails it. If this doesn't convince you of the woke agenda that is being forced upon our once great country, nothing will.

View: https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1487083783757213701?s=20&t=ZjnHNXT2LD44NimNhrFIOA

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Talking of O'Brien and the anti-woke, here's a caller giving, what is in my opinion, the clearest definition of woke and anti-woke ever.
Absolutely nails it. If this doesn't convince you of the woke agenda that is being forced upon our once great country, nothing will.

View: https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1487083783757213701?s=20&t=ZjnHNXT2LD44NimNhrFIOA

LOL. I think O'Brien's a bit of an arrogant nobber, but he absolutely nailed that one.

Beebo

Veteran
LOL. I think O'Brien's a bit of an arrogant nobber, but he absolutely nailed that one.
He is arrogant and does try to wind people up sometimes. he’s also very good at debating a point and knows how to make people look silly.
He can set bear traps and this guy knew he was beaten and gave up trying.

Top Bottom