Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

It's lucky he didn't have all those guns because he would have been off his head on all that water he was turning into wine and we all know that alcohol and guns do not mix.

No it isn't.

In fact I think that the US has a far better system of checks and balances than a lot of other countries.

The second amendment discussion is a lot more nuanced than a lot of people realise. The US is a vast and diverse country. I'd agree that the pro gun lobby can absolutely get into a bin fire. They should be looking at the Australian model, which has proven to be effective.
Well if you look at the after election polls you see the system is stuck just like it is here, much of the Biden voters only voted for Biden because he was not Trump and similarly much off the Trump voters only voted him because it's not Biden/democrats. While there are many parties in the us other than Trump/republicans or Democrats the system works in such a way they those to are the only options if you don't want to have your vote go to waste.

I known the discussion are a bit more balanced but the issue is when it comes to vote, i follow youtube Louis Rossman sometimes, i mention him particualrly because he has a very well documented struggle to get an bill passed called right to repair, which seek to ensure acces to repair manuals etc. He has an Apple repair shop so that where it comes from. But it's not limited to that as he also found farmers for example are not able to repair some modern tractors because the software locks it so he found allies in them to. But they key point is a few years back he travelled round the country to gain support and what happened quite a few times that he was told ''we understand where you're coming from, we agree with you but we are gonna vote it away'' i know it has nothing to do with gun control but it does give an insight in how politics work there and that despite the checks and balances system maybe ticking all the boxes it still isn't really working.

The right wing supreme court has ruled in favour of making it easier to carry guns in public.
It isn't right wing it is conversative a big difference. Compared the Europe democrat's are right wing. But it's most;y used as a false narrative, a lazy label so you don't have to go into a discussion.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Well if you look at the after election polls you see the system is stuck just like it is here, much of the Biden voters only voted for Biden because he was not Trump and similarly much off the Trump voters only voted him because it's not Biden/democrats. While there are many parties in the us other than Trump/republicans or Democrats the system works in such a way they those to are the only options if you don't want to have your vote go to waste.

I known the discussion are a bit more balanced but the issue is when it comes to vote, i follow youtube Louis Rossman sometimes, i mention him particualrly because he has a very well documented struggle to get an bill passed called right to repair, which seek to ensure acces to repair manuals etc. He has an Apple repair shop so that where it comes from. But it's not limited to that as he also found farmers for example are not able to repair some modern tractors because the software locks it so he found allies in them to. But they key point is a few years back he travelled round the country to gain support and what happened quite a few times that he was told ''we understand where you're coming from, we agree with you but we are gonna vote it away'' i know it has nothing to do with gun control but it does give an insight in how politics work there and that despite the checks and balances system maybe ticking all the boxes it still isn't really working.

It isn't right wing it is conversative a big difference. Compared the Europe democrat's are right wing. But it's most;y used as a false narrative, a lazy label so you don't have to go into a discussion.

That doesn't mean it's "rigged", as you initially claimed.

It's flawed, but, IMO, is a better system than what we have in the UK.

Perhaps, if people didn't view their votes as being "wasted" things would change, for the better. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I remember reading about the tractor thing. Didn't he admit he knew f*ck all about fixing tractors and was contacted by a tractor company to say that maybe fixing a tractor if you don't have a clue what you're doing might be a dreadful idea?

I admire his stance, particularly when it comes to the obscene money Apple often charge for repairs.

Right to Repair passed in New York recently.

https://www.repair.org/blog/2022/6/3/right-to-repair-is-real

That doesn't mean it's "rigged", as you initially claimed.

It's flawed, but, IMO, is a better system than what we have in the UK.

Perhaps, if people didn't view their votes as being "wasted" things would change, for the better. But I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Rigged, Flawed, whatever name you want to give it. in the end it doesn't really matter, what does matter that because of how that system is not working poeple are victims, either by an 16-20 year old with a gun that he/she shouldn't have or because they are so trapped in their neighborhood that being gangster is the only career option.

I remember reading about the tractor thing. Didn't he admit he knew f*ck all about fixing tractors and was contacted by a tractor company to say that maybe fixing a tractor if you don't have a clue what you're doing might be a dreadful idea?
Yes, but that and they he explains in his video's too is an often used cheap argument, because he wasn't asking to repair tractors he was asking for the law to enable those who can to repair a tractor.
He asked for farmers to help him explain the farmers position and in a later video he came back to it explaining that farmer often fix their equipment in the field if possible but newer tractors still won't work because the software which is only accessible by the tractor company engineers blocks it from working. Not only leaving the farmer with an tractor stuck in one place, but also with day of productivity missed because the engineer needs to get their first too.

So the grip on the software lock-in has made the machine less useable than a older 60'', 70'' area machine.

I admire his stance, particularly when it comes to the obscene money Apple often charge for repairs.
To be fair, if Apple want to charge $1000 for a screen that others do for $250 that's their choice, the point here is they make it technically impossible for anyone who can do it for $250 by creating technical barriers whether these are software(messengers on screen) or hardware.(certain chip/scrren etc. only available to apple)
Following nonsense reasoning like ''third parties can install spyware'' or ''third parties can't supply the same quality'' the same quality would be possible weren't it for fact Apple makes agreements that forbid selling the same screen to others.

Yes let's hope other states folllow and maybe even this country too, might be to much wishfull thinking.

If you want to explore just how disturbing the design of modern tractors is, this is an interesting read...

https://securityledger.com/2022/05/feel-good-ukraine-tractor-story-highlights-ag-cyber-risk/
Yup, intended to get good pr points by saying how they remotely locked them, but it's indeed also a big risk. especially if you consider how much vehicles are remotely controllable in similar fashion these days.

Beebo

Veteran
Hi power rifle. 22 year old arrested.
Looks like a right one.

Young white male disillusioned with life and supporting Trump. Probably blames everyone else for his failures.
The US appears to be heading for a complete breakup of society if the moderate right wing can’t control their crazy supporters.

Top Bottom