1976 and all that...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I was living in Sheffield in 1976 and had a great summer so maybe the real heat didn't hit as hard in the south of the north.

meanwhile....

FX77N-PXoAEYrfb?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I was living in Sheffield in 1976 and had a great summer so maybe the real heat didn't hit as hard in the south of the north.

meanwhile....

View attachment 1657

Yup, I try not to get too depressed about it, as I know I've tried to do what I can, and you've still got to live your one given life as joyfully as possible ...

I saved the seeds from a tomato, given to me by a fellow Southern Spanish grower at The COP last November.

This is the first one ripening..

Maybe it will turn out to be a good doer in the increasing heat of Southern UK.

PXL_20220718_115644254~2.jpg

Ian H

Guru
Yup, I try not to get too depressed about it, as I know I've tried to do what I can, and you've still got to live your one given life as joyfully as possible ...

I saved the seeds from a tomato, given to me by a fellow Southern Spanish grower at The COP last November.

This is the first one ripening..

Maybe it will turn out to be a good doer in the increasing heat of Southern UK.

View attachment 1659

E has been saving seeds from brassicas and is now trying to separate the seeds from the grubs infesting the pods.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Indeed, that is why I am not wistful for them, except my lost youth ;)

The problem with people's memory of the past is that it can be more subjective than objective. I have great memories of growing up in the 50s and the 60s because of the people I grew up with, family and friends. I have probably forgotten the bad things and remember mostly the good. YMMV.
Objectively speaking there is very little about the way we live now that is not an improvement on the way things were not that very long ago, but while living standards have improved there are just as many hardships and things to be dissatisfied with, just different ones to the past.
We judge things by the norms of the time and the baseline standard is always rising.

They won't regret it. They couldn't give a shoot.

They will when all their gammony boomer viewers die of heat exhaustion.

Ian H

Guru
Cool 😎

Did she manage to separate brassica from brassica to stop them interbreeding??

I have a feeling we'll get some oddities. But I sometimes think she's more interested in the botanical experiments than the actual horticulture (although the allotment is going well).

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
I have a feeling we'll get some oddities. But I sometimes think she's more interested in the botanical experiments than the actual horticulture (although the allotment is going well).

Well why not.??

There may be something interesting that arises... 🌱🌱🌱🌱🌱

All uphill

The problem with people's memory of the past is that it can be more subjective than objective. I have great memories of growing up in the 50s and the 60s because of the people I grew up with, family and friends. I have probably forgotten the bad things and remember mostly the good. YMMV.
Objectively speaking there is very little about the way we live now that is not an improvement on the way things were not that very long ago, but while living standards have improved there are just as many hardships and things to be dissatisfied with, just different ones to the past.
We judge things by the norms of the time and the baseline standard is always rising.

I agree until your last sentence @Rusty Nails

There is nothing that guarantees constant improvement, particularly for an individual country. I fear we may be entering a period of dropping incomes and living standards in the UK, thanks to stagnating productivity and poor political leadership.

Top Bottom