1976 and all that...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Veteran
My year of birth….

I would have been 7 months old.
My mum had to keep me cool whilst somehow managing to deal with Terry towelling nappies and standpipes in the street.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Again, thought I'd done that?
I edited my post to try to clarify that I hadn't meant all the 70s were hot or that 76 was particularly renowned for its industrial action.

Ok. I see it. It never occurred to me to re-read YOUR post, I have been repeatedly re-reading mine, which you quoted and muttering “WTF is he talking about?”.;)

I am not a rose coloured spectacles person, other than having a younger body, I can’t think of a single thing that was better in the 50’s; 60’s; 70’s etc etc. Actually, predictably, there is one thing… the music was better in the 60’s ;)

Mugshot

Über Member
Ok. I see it. It never occurred to me to re-read YOUR post, I have been repeatedly re-reading mine, which you quoted and muttering “WTF is he talking about?”.;)

I am not a rose coloured spectacles person, other than having a younger body, I can’t think of a single thing that was better in the 50’s; 60’s; 70’s etc etc. Actually, predictably, there is one thing… the music was better in the 60’s ;)

I went back to say edited my original post, but that ship has sailed :sad:

stowie

As my dad says, "I grew up in the 50's. They were shoot".

There are documentaries from early 70's London around slum clearance. As much as the tower blocks were a disaster, the original accommodation were slums and endured by many people right into the 70's. I am sure most major cities in the UK had similar housing up to this period.

My mother recounts memories of visiting an Aunt in Islington in the 50's when these areas were so dangerous they made sure they arrived and left in daylight.

This isn't to diminish any of the massive issues we face today, and there are very significant numbers of people living in squalor. But it always struck me as odd to be wistful of these decades where life for many was awful.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
The global heat anomaly maps from June 1976 and June 2022.

Screenshot_20220717-225426~2.png

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/maps/

If you want to check for yourself the effects of climate change, and extreme weather events over the last 50 years .

theclaud

Reading around the chip

slowmotion

The two of us moved to Devon that September, fleeing from a mad landlady. Our crooked, rented lodge house was held together with tie-bars, just about. There was no mains water & the well had dried up. Our landlord, the brigadier, rigged up an illegal supply, pumped from a nearby ditch, and supplied us with chlorine tablets.

We used to dream of ditch water.

Bazzer

Difficulties with water supplies, due to low water pressure.
My parents near the top of a hill and we, the cottage up the track past our house and the farm at the top of the track, always suffered because of houses down the road using more water. Trying to board 30 odd dogs when your water supply became a trickle, or worse still, milking a herd of cows, was a nightmare.
Also going to Ladybower reservoir and seeing a large expanse of mud.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
As my dad says, "I grew up in the 50's. They were shoot".

There are documentaries from early 70's London around slum clearance. As much as the tower blocks were a disaster, the original accommodation were slums and endured by many people right into the 70's. I am sure most major cities in the UK had similar housing up to this period.

My mother recounts memories of visiting an Aunt in Islington in the 50's when these areas were so dangerous they made sure they arrived and left in daylight.

This isn't to diminish any of the massive issues we face today, and there are very significant numbers of people living in squalor. But it always struck me as odd to be wistful of these decades where life for many was awful.

Indeed, that is why I am not wistful for them, except my lost youth ;)

It gives a spot of rain for us tomorrow, but it's still looking like a very dry month. Arguably this could be worse than '76 because our population is far higher now, so more water being used. And more energy overall which doesn't help

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Squire
It gives a spot of rain for us tomorrow, but it's still looking like a very dry month. Arguably this could be worse than '76 because our population is far higher now, so more water being used. And more energy overall which doesn't help

And of course thousands more aircon units than there were back then adding to the energy usage, problem.

I'm ok for water on my farm- atm - a very large sandstone aquifer with an unlimited supply to the borehole with which to irrigate

People on the other side of the river however, where it's clay, are already struggling for water..And that's where there are more dairy farms 😐

Top Bottom